- Senior-Year Experience
This list is a guide to help you navigate your senior year. It is your responsibility to integrate the list as how it fits best into your personal and academic goals. These are suggestions to help you throughout your year, but should not be seen as an all encompassing list or required checklist.
Prepare for Graduation:
- See your academic advisor to make sure you are on track to graduate.
- Talk to your faculty mentor about your post-graduation plans.
- Apply for graduation. Check with your college for the specific steps.
- Attend the Grad Fair at the bookstore to order your cap and gown and graduation announcements.
- Schedule your graduation portraits and purchase your class ring.
- Make hotel reservations for family and friends for graduation weekend.
- Check with Student Financial Services about loan repayment options.
- Begin planning your finances for life after graduation.
- Make an appointment with a career counselor to reflect on and identify your purpose as it relates to a career path.
- Update your resume reflecting on your college career, internships, and service opportunities. Post it on CareerLink.
- Check with Career Services to learn how to conduct an effective job search.
- Update your networking list and begin to use it to connect with possible job openings.
- Reflect on how to apply your SLU experiences to other settings; e.g. jobs, graduate schools, volunteer opportunities.
- Attend fall and spring career fairs and other Career Services events as a way to network with employers and graduate schools.
- Schedule a mock interview with a career counselor to prepare for employer interviews.
- Research market trends and salary expectations for your industry and career of interest.
- Develop a career portfolio to use for the job search and to reflect on your SLU experiences.
- Apply to all interesting jobs on CareerLink, company websites, and other job search websites.
Applying to Graduate or Professional School:
- Learn about the steps needed to apply to graduate school.
- Discuss graduate school options with your faculty mentor.
- Solicit letters of recommendations.
- Write your personal statements and go to the Writing Center for critiquing and revising.
- Apply to all graduate and professional schools of interest.
- Schedule a mock interview with a career counselor for graduate school interviews.
Connecting with Classmates:
- Attend or participate in the Senior Legacy Symposium.
- Participate in senior events sponsored by Alumni Relations, Student Involvement Center, and Campus Ministry as a way to understand your career goals, develop skills, and as a way to understand what it means to be an alumna/alumnus of Saint Louis University.
- Talk to alumni about their career path.
- Connect with the Facebook group for your graduating class.
Before Leaving SLU:
- Update your address and other contact information with Alumni Relations and on Banner.
- Check the payment suite under the "tools" tab of mySLU to make sure your student account is paid in full.
- Eliminate any library or other holds on your account.
- Complete graduate survey to inform SLU of your plans after graduation.
- Complete exit interview or graduating student survey in your academic department.
- Make a legacy gift through Alumni Relations.
- Donate your Billiken bucks and return your parking card at Parking and Card Services.
- Make hotel reservations for next year's homecoming.