Saint Louis University

Student Financial Services FAQ

Your education is one of your greatest investments. The Office of Student Financial Services is committed to assisting you during this transition by providing you with counseling and resources. Counselors are available Monday through Friday, and no appointment is required. Stop by when it is convenient for you, or click here to learn more.

Have I paid my bill in full?

Check the payment suite under the "Tools" tab within mySLU to determine if your account is current. Diplomas are given to graduates with balances paid in full.

How much have I borrowed  in student loans, and when do I begin repayment?

The National Student Loan Data System is the U.S. Department of Education's central database for student aid. Visit to determine/verify the amount of federal aid you have borrowed. If you also have a private/alternative loan, please contact your lender for the total amount borrowed. Most loans go into repayment approximately six months after graduation.

I am going to continue my education. Will I have to pay back my undergraduate loans immediately?

Students enrolled at least half-time in a degree-seeking program qualify for an in-school deferment; therefore, payment while in school would not be required. Contact your lender for more details.

Where are my student loans?

Student loans are serviced by your lender/servicer. If you need assistance determining your lender or servicer, please contact the Office of Student Financial Services.

I am receiving so much  mail telling me to consolidate. Should I?

Students may consolidate their student loans after completion of their degree. To find out if consolidation is right for you and how to decipher which consolidation lender is right for you, visit Student Financial Services or a Loan Exit Workshop. Stay tuned for more information in your SLU e-mail.

Do I have to complete a loan exit?

Yes and no. Students who have borrowed a Perkins loan are required to complete a loan exit. Students will be notified via e-mail by April to complete the online loan exit. This is required to receive your diploma. Students who have borrowed a Stafford or Private/Alternative loan are not required to complete a loan exit; however, loan exit counseling is available through the Office of Student Financial Services and Loan Exit Workshops.


For more information, visit or call 314-977-2350

Higher purpose. Greater good.
© 1818 - 2016  SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY   |   Disclaimer   |  Mobile Site
St. Louis   |   Madrid