- Transfer Student Experience
- Student Involvement Center Home
- SLU 101 Transfer Orientation
- First-Year Summer Reading
- Fall Welcome
- Winter Welcome
- TRANSFERmations Fall Program
- First-Year Experience Leadership Positions
- Frequently Asked Questions
Apply to be a Transfer Mentor
The Saint Louis University TRANSFERmations Mentoring Program is a volunteer opportunity for transfer students focused on assisting incoming SLU transfer students in their transition by connecting them to SLU communities through various activities and initiatives.
- Must be a current SLU student who transferred to SLU prior to the Spring semester.
- Must be a full-time, undergraduate student in good standing with the University.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 at time of application and maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA throughout the duration of the position.
- Must have strong desire to assist transfer students with their personal and academic adjustment to SLU, assisting with topics that include (but are not limited to):
- exploring study skills
- time management
- the importance of campus and community involvement
- making healthy choices
- identity exploration.
- Necessary personal characteristics for this paraprofessional position include:
- high level of professionalism
- positive attitude
- strong work ethic
- high energy level and enthusiasm
- knowledge of SLU and pride in the SLU experience
- commitment to multiculturalism and inclusivity
- ability to role model and mentor new students
- sense of approachability
- proficient organizational skills
- strong communication skills
Specific responsibilities include:
- Assist new transfer students in their successful transition to SLU by facilitating involvement opportunities, promoting a sense of belonging to the SLU community and providing resources for personal and academic success.
- Attend all the training sessions.
- Assist Transfer Oriflamme leader with Fall Welcome events and attendance.
- Build a strong community among transfer students
Potential involvements include:
- Assist with phone, email, and in-person outreach to transfer students.
- Assist with presentations for and about transfer students.
- Develop programming and activities for transfer students to enhance the transfer experience.
There are many benefits for students who pursue a TRANSFERmations Mentor position. Mentors will gain significant leadership experience, the opportunity to develop professional relationships with staff and students, the skills to develop and present effective programs and the opportunity to gain and develop a set of effective communication skills. Furthermore, all events participated in will be at no cost to mentors and mentors will have the ability to move into residential spaces early (if applicable) and avoid the rush in order to attend the mandatory mentor training. Upon completion of the position, Transfer Mentors will receive $200 in Billiken Bucks (Transfer Mentors who assist with the Spring TRANSFERmations program will receive an additional $100 in Billiken Bucks).
TIME COMMITMENTS/IMPORTANT DATES:
Due to the fact that this position is a volunteer leadership position on campus, it allows for flexibility with the understanding that mentors are requested to be available an average of 5 hours each week until the end of September, with additional time spent in the first three weeks of January. This leaves great flexibility and openness to add to the position what you feel most comfortable. If selected as a SLU TRANSFERmations Mentor, you will be expected to at minimum be available from mid-August to the end of September.
SELECTION TIMELINE (The application for 2015-16 Transfer Mentors has closed - the timeline for 2016-2017 Transfer Mentors will be released in October):
Applications Available on SLU Groups: November 1, 2014
Applications Due: January 16, 2015
Group Interview Day:January 31, 2015
Individual Interviews: February 16-18, 2015
Notification of Position: February 20, 2015
For more information, please go to the First-Year Experience Leadership Positions Page