- Student Resources
Requesting an Incomplete
A student must specifically request the mark of incomplete before it can be assigned by an Instructor. Moreover, University policy stipulates that the student and the Instructor agree in writing to the conditions for clearing an incomplete. If not cleared within one year after the course was taught, the incomplete will automatically be converted to an F. However, if the incomplete was given in a prerequisite course, it must be cleared by the end of the first week of the class for which the prerequisite is necessary.
Center for Sustainability Policy:
The process for awarding and clearing an incomplete includes the following steps:
- Student contacts the Instructor, explains the circumstances, and requests an incomplete. A detailed email outlining the circumstances must be sent to the Instructor.
- The Instructor contacts the Program Chair, discusses the circumstances, and determines if the circumstances merit an incomplete. The detailed email outlining the circumstances must be sent to the Program Chair. The mark of incomplete is given at the discretion of the Instructor in consultation with the Program Chair.
- If the Instructor in consultation with the Program Chair agrees to award an incomplete, the Program Chair will complete the “pertinent information” and “requirement to complete” section below. The Program Chair will then forward the contract to the Instructor for electronic signature.
- After signing electronically, the Instructor will then forward the contract to the student for electronic signature.
- After signing electronically, the Student will then forward the contract to both the Instructor and the Program Chair.
- The Program Chair will then forward the contract to the Student Services Director for processing.