Major in Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy (OT)
Offered by Saint Louis University's Doisy College of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in occupational science and occupational therapy
Saint Louis University Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy Degree OverviewSaint Louis University's undergraduate degree in occupational science and occupational therapy prepares you for a Master of Occupational Therapy, the minimum educational requirement to become a licensed occupational therapist. SLU's is one of only four pre-OT programs in the United States focused on occupational science (the foundation of the occupational therapy profession) as well as occupational therapy.
Pre-OT students at SLU who have successfully completed all the requirements of the undergraduate program are guaranteed entry into Doisy College of Health Science's Master of Occupational Therapy program. If you choose to major in occupational science at SLU, you will be studying the principles of occupational therapy and begin courses immediately from high school in your chosen major. Pre-OT students at SLU also work directly with a faculty mentor who supports their professional development.
In addition to many other resources available through Doisy College, Saint Louis University's occupational science students also participate in SLU's Student Occupational Therapy Association, which enhances their understanding of occupational therapy through professional, educational, community and social activities.
What You'll Learn in SLU's Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy ProgramSLU's occupational science and occupational therapy program's core curriculum has an interprofessional focus that emphasizes a team approach to health care. You will work with Saint Louis University faculty who are active in developing new and unique areas of OT practice such as:
- Working with homeless children and families
- Life skills training for children and youth with Asperberger's syndrome & autism and sensory processing disorders
- Life skills for prisoners
- University students' mental and social health
- Displaced workers
- Transition planning for young adults with developmental disabilities
- OT in primary family care
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
What Can You Do With an Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy Degree from SLU?Graduates from Saint Louis University with an undergraduate degree in occupational science and occupational therapy who meet all program requirements enter directly into SLU's Master of Occupational Therapy program. Following graduation, the majority of occupational therapists work in school systems, and medical and long-term care facilities. However, there are many other areas of practice such as:
- Ergonomics consulting
- Driver rehabilitation and training and transportation alternatives
- Design and accessibility consulting and home modification
- Low vision services
- Private practice community health services
- Technology and assistive devices development and consulting
- Health and wellness consulting
- Addressing the psychosocial needs of children and youth