All SLU Biology majors have the chance to gain first-hand experience working on exciting projects in diverse areas of life sciences research. Many of our undergraduates have been co-authors on published scientific papers. Among the many opportunities are:
- Current Research Opportunities -- Information about current research opportunities for undergraduates who wish to conduct research under the supervision of faculty in the Department of Biology or at affiliated institutions (the Saint Louis University School of Medicine, the Saint Louis Zoo, the Missouri Botanical Garden, etc.). Faculty who currently have opportunities for undergraduates are listed here. The faculty-student contract form for students who wish to register for academic credit can also be downloaded from this site
- Faculty Research Labs -- join a research group comprising undergraduate and graduate students along with SLU professors, working on a variety of laboratory and field oriented projects.
- SLU Medical School labs -- a number of research labs at the SLU Medical School actively recruit Biology students to assist with basic biomedical research.
- Saint Louis Zoo -- a variety of research opportunities exist at the Zoo, working on projects with the Zoo veterinary and research staff, and with Zoo curators.
- Missouri Botanical Garden -- SLU Biology students can participate in internships and assist in research sponsored by Adjunct Faculty, curators, and other scientists at MO.
- Area Universities -- some SLU Biology students find opportunities to join research groups at sister institutions.
- Donald Danforth Plant Science Center -- the newly opened Danforth Center will provide additional student opportunities in a number of labs whose collective mission is "to feed the world."
Academic Credit: Students engaged in research projects in Biology Department labs or many of the other St. Louis area institutions are encouraged to receive academic credit for their work by enrolling in Advanced Independent Study (BIOL 498) for an appropriate number of credit hours.
Research Jobs: In addition to research experience available through project outlined above, opportunities exist for part-time employment in research labs. Many of the labs listed above have paid positions available from time to time. In addition, SLU Biology students have found part-time research employment at such locations as Monsanto, Center for Emerging Technologies, Human Genome Project, and area Hospitals.