- Field Stipend Program-BHWET
- Social Work (B.S., Minor)
- Criminology and Criminal Justice (BA, Minor)
- Curriculum Requirements
- Practicum Sites
- Minor in Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Additional Resources
- Peace and Social Justice (Minor)
- Master of Social Work
- MS in Applied Behavior Analysis
- MS in Criminology and Professional Practice
- Post-Master's Certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis
- PhD in Social Work
Bachelor of Arts in Criminology and Criminal Justice
For a listing of the courses for the Criminology and Criminal Justice major, visit Curriculum Requirements.
Norm White, PhD discusses criminology and criminal justice at SLU
A degree in criminology and criminal justice provides a well-rounded academic orientation to the nature of criminal offending, law enforcement, court administration, the law and both community and institutional corrections.
Consistent with Saint Louis University's Jesuit tradition, the criminology and criminal justice program seeks to strengthen communities by focusing on the individuals within the criminal justice system and the factors that cause crime and violence. This major is a good fit for students interested in legal studies, law enforcement at the local, state or federal levels and working with adults and juveniles in correctional settings, and those pursuing graduate education or a law degree.
Additional Degree Options
- Honors Courses: The criminology and criminal justice program offers advanced coursework approved for
- Minor: For those pursuing other majors who are also interested in criminology and criminal justice, the program offers a minor that will give students an understanding of the profession and the core values of the field.
A criminology and criminal justice degree opens doors to employment in the criminal justice system and many nonprofit organizations. Graduates might also pursue further education in law or other social sciences in preparation for professional or research careers.
In addition, students have the opportunity to complete a field work practicum, allowing them to gain valuable, hands-on experience and make professional contacts prior to pursuing employment. Career opportunities in criminology and criminal justice include:
SLU partners with a wide variety of agencies and organizations all over St. Louis City and St. Louis County to provide criminology and criminal justice students with diverse options for their fieldwork practicum and/or externship experiences. Possible placement options include working with juveniles or adults in private or public agencies at the local, state or federal level and a number of local community-based agencies working with at-risk individuals.
For students interested in studying abroad, SLU has a wide variety of programs, including a campus located in Madrid, Spain, where students can study abroad while earning SLU credit.
Student Activity and Service Opportunities
SLU has a strong service-learning component. Students can embody SLU's Jesuit mission by using the knowledge they gain in the classroom to serve others. Students can volunteer at organizations around St. Louis, and SLU collaborates with more than 250 social service agencies where students can explore all the areas of criminology and criminal justice with guidance from seasoned professionals.
Faculty and Research
SLU's criminology and criminal justice faculty are nationally recognized as leaders in community engagement with years of professional experience in the field. These faculty members have diverse research interests, including:
- Law enforcement
- Criminal justice decision-making
- Sentencing and punishment outcomes
- Disparities in criminology and criminal justice
- Correctional Treatment of offenders
- Understanding the causes and correlates of crime
Why Choose SLU
- SLU's CCJ program is innovative in its approach to improving the criminal justice system by focusing on the human aspects of violence and crime within the justice system and in communities.
- SLU is founded on the Jesuit tradition of "educating the whole person" - our programs challenge and engage students intellectually with the latest in theory, research and practice. Our major offers students the opportunity to live what they learn through compassionate service.
- SLU is the place you come to change the world. We believe in and are committed to our students' success.
Register today to visit SLU's beautiful 800-acre campus, located in the heart of St. Louis.
If you'd like more information about SLU's BA in CCJ, fill out our information request form.
Applications are now being accepted. If you're ready to get started, apply now.