Ph.D. Historical Theology
Application and Admission
In order to be eligible for admission into the program, students must have the following general prerequisites:
- M.A. degree in Theology or the equivalent
- Nine (9) credit hours of undergraduate and/or MA philosophy course
- Nine (9) credit hours of undergraduate and/or MA history courses
The Admissions Committee adjudicates applicants on the following information:
(1) Transcripts from all previous post-secondary education indicating at least a bachelor's degree.
(2) Scores from a standardized test. The Department accepts either the GRE or the Miller Analogy Test(MAT). Test scores cannot be older than five years. The minimum expectation is that applicants score in the top 85th percentile and have scores that demonstrate a stong capacity for writing and critical reading.
(3) Three academic letters of recommendation which attest to the applicant's in-class performance. If you do not have three referees who can do this, please contact the Director of the PhD program before submitting your application.
(4) A resumé or a curriculum vitae.
(5) A personal statement (maximum 750 words) outlining your career or academic goals. This is a very important document as it tell the admissions committee how our degree program will further your career goals.
(6) Evidence of reading ability in at least one of the following languages: Greek, Latin, Syriac, German, French, Spanish or Italian. Transcripts of language courses or a letter from a university language instructor will suffice as documentary evidence.
Applications may be supplemented with a writing sample of not more than twenty (20) typed, double-spaced pages.
While on-campus interviews are not required for consideration of a place, potential applicants are strongly encouraged to contact the Director of the PhD program in advance
Applications for the Ph.D. program in historical theology must be completed by January 1st in order to begin the program in the subsequent fall semester. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered. Students may begin the Ph.D. program only in the Fall Semester. All applicants for this program must apply through the online application.
Next: General Prerequisites