International Studies Major Requirements
International Studies allows for individualized areas of study according to a student's area of concentration within the following curricular framework:
Proficiency in a Modern Language - The student has completed the required coursework or tested out of a 415 level modern language class. Proficiency is not the same as getting a minor in a Modern Language, and many times requires less coursework.
Study Abroad - Study Abroad programs are available for one year, one semester or for the summer based on each student's schedule.
International Studies Internship (ISTD 491) - Students must meet with an International Studies advisor before selecting an internship to count for credit.
A minimum 3.0 GPA at the time of graduation.
Interdisciplinary coursework of 31 hours (see checklist below) or download via the link:INTERNATIONAL STUDIES CHECKLIST (International Studies Major Checklist)
1. PROFICIENCY IN A MODERN LANGUAGE--Determined by test, coursework, or the equivalent in either French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish. If you speak another language other than listed, you may still qualify. Check with the Center for International Studies for more details.
2. STUDY ABROAD--Whether for study or work
3. ISTD 110 -- Introduction to International Studies
4. One course from the following:
- ECON 190: Principles of Economics
- POLS 261: Introduction to Diplomacy
- ECON 312: Intermediate Macroeconomics
- CMM 330: Intercultural Communication
- POLS 160: Introduction to International Politics
- SOC 361: Sociology of International Relations
5. CONTEMPORARY CULTURE OR HISTORY--Various study abroad courses may be applicable
Courses available at SLU:
- HIST 314: Twentieth Century Europe: The Era of World War. 1914-1945
- HIST 329: History of Russia Since 1905
- HIST 331: Modern European Diplomatic
- HIST 316: History of Eastern Europe
- History, 1914-Present
- HIST 318: History of Modern Latin America
- HIST 341: History of Italy: 1860-Present
- HIST 319: History of Mexico
- HIST 344: Spanish Civil War
- HIST 321: History of China Since 1644
- HIST 375: Women in Modern Europe
- HIST 323: History of Japan Since 1639
- HIST 381: Islamic Civilization
- HIST 324: Africa Since 1844
- FREN, GR, RUSS 325, SPAN 418: Culture and Civilization
- HIST 325: The World in Conflict Since 1945
- HIST 326: Modern France: 1815-Present
6. ISTD 491 -- International Internship
Students consult with an IS advisor and complete an approval form before selecting an option for an internship.
7. ELECTIVES--From at least three different areas: Humanities, Social Sciences, and Natural Sciences
8. Your Total Hours Must Equal: 31(Including Cross Listed Classes)
9. STUDENTS MUST HAVE A 3.0 GPA AT THE TIME OF GRADUATION