Safety begins with you, so SLU's department of public safety offers these suggestions:
- Be aware of your surroundings and pay attention to suspicious-looking persons or activities by constantly scanning around you.
- If you must park off campus, choose a well-lit and populated area to leave your vehicle. Check the area out when returning to your car; look in and around your car before entering it.
- Walk with other people -- especially at night or in an unfamiliar area.
- If you are confronted, try to get a good description of the individual(s), a description of the vehicle -- if one is used as a getaway -- and license plate number if possible.
- Pay attention to your surroundings, and return to a safe place if something doesn't look right.
- Park your vehicle on Saint Louis University parking lots or garages.
- At night on campus, use the SLU RIDE program. Call (314) 977-RIDE (314-977-7433).
- Have emergency numbers available to contact help. Immediately report any crime or suspicious activity to DPS at (314) 977-3000.