Campus Safety Notice
November 6, 2014
The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department is investigating two robberies that took place around SLU's Medical Center tonight.
Shortly after 7 p.m., three unknown suspects approached a person not affiliated with the University who was standing at the bus stop located near the former Pevely Dairy site at Grand Blvd and Chouteau Ave. One of the suspects displayed a weapon and demanded the man's cell phone, which he gave them. The victim, who was not injured, described the suspects as three African-American males; two wearing black hooded sweatshirts; the other wearing a red hooded sweatshirt.
Not long after, an employee of SLU Hospital was walking to his car when he was approached by three suspects matching the above descriptions in front of Drummond Hall, which is located at Rutger St and Spring Ave, just west of the hospital. One of the suspects displayed a weapon and demanded the employee's backpack, which he gave them. The employee also was not injured. The suspects were last seen heading north on Spring Ave away from the Medical Center.
The Department of Public Safety, which has increased its patrols at the Medical Center, offers the following actions to help you stay safe:
· Always remain alert and aware of your surroundings. Scan parking lots, sidewalks, and streets for suspicious persons and activity. Try to walk in groups late at night.
· Avoid being distracted by use cell phones or other devices.
· Immediately report suspicious activity or persons to Public Safety at 314-977-3000 or to the Metropolitan Police by calling 911.
· If you are the victim of a crime, call Public Safety at 314-977-3000 or 911 immediately.
· Make a mental note of gender, race, age, height, clothing, and distinguishing characteristics and mannerisms of the suspect. Also note direction of travel. If more than one suspect is involved, concentrate on the person closest to you.
· For other crime prevention tips and safety information, visit the Public Safety website at http://www.slu.edu/x22899.xml.