Treating ear, nose & throat complaints, as well as sinus, mouth and neck problems
SLUCare general otolaryngologists evaluate and treat a variety of disorders of the ears, nose and throat.
For more complicated ENT conditions, such as cancer of the head and neck, and complex sinus and ear problems, our general otolaryngologists can refer you to the most narrowly focused specialists at Saint Louis University for expert treatment.
Common Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
- Ear: Typical ear problems include hearing loss, ringing, ear infections, dizziness and wax accumulation. SLUCare offers a full range of audiologic and balance testing to evaluate hearing loss and balance problems.
- Nose: Nose and sinus disorders are among the most common reasons for seeing a general otolaryngologist. We treat and evaluate excess nasal mucous, nosebleeds, sinus infections, nasal obstruction, nasal polyps and nasal allergies.
- Throat: We treat enlarged/infected tonsils, throat pain, hoarseness, throat mucous/phlegm (drainage), persistent coughing and difficulty swallowing. Diagnosis can usually be established with a routine visit. Our state-of-the-art fiber optic technology allows for a thorough and comfortable evaluation of the airway.
Sleep Apnea and the SLUCare Sleep Disorders Center
We also treat a breathing disorder during sleep called obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Approximately 4 percent of adults suffer with this illness characterized by loud snoring and excessive day time sleepiness. The diagnosis is made by means of a sleep study (polysomnogram) done at a special facility.
Treatment options include weight loss, devices (CPAP) and surgery. The physicians of our department are part of the SLUCare Sleep Disorders Center team and can perform the most up-to-date surgical procedures for OSA and snoring, if surgery is deemed appropriate for these conditions.
Other Reasons to See a SLUCare Otolaryngologist
A variety of ENT problems may result from illnesses in other parts of the body. Skin diseases can produce problems in the mouth, diabetes may predispose people to ear, nose and throat infections, AIDS can cause tumors in the mouth and throat, and nose bleeds can be caused by blood thinning medications used to prevent heart attack and stroke.
Some blood pressure and heart medications can cause severe cough and sensations of throat irritation/drainage. Frequently stomach acid reflux could cause similar symptoms in the throat. ENT manifestations of diseases elsewhere in the body are among the most common reasons for in-hospital consultations.
SLUCare General Otolaryngology Services
- Fiber optic diagnosis
- Full range of audiologic and balance tests
- Sleep studies (polysomnogram)
SLUCare General Otolaryngology Specialties
- Obstructive sleep apnea and snoring
- Hearing loss, ringing, ear infections, dizziness and wax accumulation
- Enlarged/infected tonsils, throat pain, hoarseness, throat mucous/phlegm (drainage), persistent coughing and difficulty swallowing
- Excess nasal mucous, nosebleeds, sinus infections, nasal obstruction, nasal polyps and nasal allergies
SLUCare General Otolaryngology Providers
SLUCare General Otolaryngology Locations
Doctors Office Building
3660 Vista Ave., Suite 312
St. Louis, MO 63110
SLUCare Otolaryngology Services at Mercy
621 S. New Ballas Road, Suites 307A and 482A
St. Louis, MO 63141
Saint Louis University Cancer Center
3655 Vista Ave., St. Louis, MO 63110
SSM Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center
1465 S. Grand Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63104
SSM Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center - South County
12700 Southfork Road, Suite 155D, St. Louis, MO 63128
Perry County Memorial Hospital
424 N. West St., Perryville, MO 63775