Creative Writing Noncredit Certificate
Complete Online Writing Courses to Earn a Noncredit Creative Writing Certificate at SLU
This certificate in Creative Writing provides participants experience and practice in developing skills in professional and creative writing. It is open to beginners or those with writing experience who wish to develop their literary talents for their own personal satisfaction and use, or to perfect their writing abilities in professional setting.
In today's competitive workplace, the ability to write well and creatively is an important asset, as is the ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner. This creative writing certificate provides a valuable credential in any job market.
Participants will emerge with a proficiency in creative writing to meet a variety of written communication and critical analysis responsibilities in any career field. With this online creative writing course, participants will enjoy the flexibility of adapting class times to their own schedules.
- Review basics of writing and the writing process
- Review different genres of creative writing
- Develop creative and professional writing skills
- Cultivate a disciplined approach to writing
- Identify writing styles appropriate for different audiences
- Develop skills in critically assessing their own and others' work
- Explore contemporary culture and social trends in popular fiction
- Describe the generic conventions of different types of novels such as horror, romance, crime and science fiction
- Identify and implement proper drafting, revising, and editing techniques
- Produce written creative works: poetry, short fiction and memories
Courses in the creative writing certificate program may also be taken individually (a la carte) and are all available online as noted in the "Location" area below.