- Office of Research Development and Services (ORDS)
- Animals, Human Subjects, and Biosafety
- Budget Preparation
- Contact ORDS
- Documents Commonly Needed
- Find Funding
- Grant Winner Reception
- Information Commonly Needed
- Internal Awards
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Resource Page
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Resource Page
- Resources & Quicklinks
- Learn about the Grants Process
- Issue a Subaward/Subcontract
- Conduct a Clinical Trial
- The ONE Series
- Use eRS - Electronic Research Services
Frequently, principal investigators are asked to complete a research task as part of a grant proposal submission of another institution. This is handled as an intention to subcontract from the institution receiving the primary award from the sponsor. In lieu of a grant application, the SLU principal investigator provides the following documentation to ORDS:
Scope of Work- This is a several paragraph long description of the exact research task that the SLU PI will conduct.
Budget - A detailed listing of expenses per major budget category (Salary, Fringe Benefits, Supplies, etc.)
Budget Justification - A narrative explanation of how expenses in the budget were calculated.
Letter of Intent to Enter Into Consortium - Signed by ORDS, this template includes language that assures the prime institution that SLU approves of the PIs participation in this project. Download the template.
- Obtain Institutional Approvals: Upload Scope of Work, Budget, Budget Justification and Letter of Intent to Enter into Consortium to the "Attachment Status" section of the eRS Transmittal Form.
- Submit Proposal to Contact at Institution - PI sends documents listed above to primary institution when all SLU signatures have been obtained.
- Receive Subcontract - If awarded, primary institution sends SLU subcontract and their Notice of Award.
- ORDS Review of Subcontract - Negotiates if necessary, signs, returns to PI.
- Upload Fully-Executed Subcontract (with all parties signatures obtained) to eRS
- Set Up and Manage Your Award