- Future Students
Careers and Internships
Open up any magazine or newspaper, or turn on the evening news, and you will probably encounter a nutrition-related story. Nutrition is hot! People want to live longer and healthier lives, and are counting on good nutrition. The dietetics professional helps consumers sort out the nutrition information they encounter. They are also the professionals who are trained to provide nutrition-related care, called medical nutrition therapy, to individuals with specific disease states. In fact, dietetics professionals apply their knowledge of foods and nutrition to many career settings. The goals of the profession include promoting health, the prevention and management of disease, and minimizing disability.
Employment of dietitians is expected to increase 10-20% through 2010 (US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2002-2003). Between 2000 and 2010, the demand for higher-skilled culinarians is expected to increase 21-35% (US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2002-2003).
SLU graduates are versatile and can work in many different settings.
- Hospitals or other health care facilities.
- RDs are part of the health care team administering medical nutrition therapy and educating patients.
- RDs oversee menu development and food preparation as well as managing food service staff.
- Food and nutrition-related business and industries are areas in which RDs can put their food science, consumer affairs, and marketing skills to use.
- Sports Nutrition and wellness programs allow RDs to impact the overall health of individuals combining food and fitness.
- Community and public health settings advising the public through monitoring and program planning.
- Own private practice where they can contract with companies or specialize to counsel patients.
- Universities and medical centers.
- Pharmaceutical companies.
- Chef/Registered Dietitian in a school, hospital, or commercial kitchen
- Restaurant/bakery owner
- Personal chef
- Small business owner in the food industry
- Consultant for nutrition/culinary services
- Manager of a foodservice operation