- International Students
- Admitted International Students
- Summer Acculturation Programs
- International Student Handbook
- Applying for a Student Visa
- Airport Pick-Up Service
- Arriving in the USA
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- SLU Writing Exam
- ESL Testing Fee
- Culture Shock
- Higher Education in the United States
- Current International Students
Arriving in the USA
Please note: You may be refused entry into the United States if you arrive more than 30 days before the Program Start Date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019 form.
Arriving at the U.S. Border
In the U.S. airport, you will go through an immigration inspection. Be prepared to tell the inspector that you are a student, the name of Saint Louis University, and the address of Saint Louis University. Be prepared to show the following required documents (do NOT pack these with your checked luggage):
- I-20 or DS-2019
- F-1 or J-1 student visa stamp
- SLU Admission letter
- Financial documents
- Receipt for the SEVIS fee (Form I-797 or you can access your receipt here)
- Name and contact information for your "Designated School Official" at SLU
NOTE: US Customs and Border Patrol will no longer issue a paper I-94 card - electronic records of arrival and departure can be found online.
Arriving at Saint Louis-Lambert International Airport
Finding your Airport Pick-Up Service:
If you requested Airport Pick-Up Service, a Saint Louis University staff member will meet you at the Baggage Claim area. The staff will be wearing SLU blue or bright yellow shirts. They will be holding Saint Louis University signs.
If you are unable to locate us, you can go the the Airport Information Desk and ask the airport staff to page SLU staff.
Important Contact Information:
If any of your flights are missed, canceled or delayed - please email email@example.com so we can properly assist you.
Office of International Services (Call Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5pm and during Airport Pick-Up days): 314-977-2318
SLU Department of Public Safety (Call 24 hours per day to reach SLU staff): 314-977-3000
Arriving at Saint Louis University Outside of Airport Pick-Up Days
Please plan on taking either a Taxi or the MetroLink, St. Louis' public train system, to campus.
- A taxi to SLU from the airport will cost around US$50. At the airport, you can find the taxis in the garage on the same level as the Baggage Claim. You can show your driver one of the addresses provided below, depending on the time of your arrival.
- The MetroLink is a good option if you will not arrive on campus very late at night and if you do not have much baggage. The MetroLink has a stop near to SLU's campus - click here for instructions for getting from the MetroLink Grand Station to campus.
If you will arrive on campus during normal business hours (Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm)
Come to the Office of International Services (Des Peres Hall - Room 102, 3694 West Pine Mall, 63108).
You can locate Des Peres Hall because the roof of the building is surrounded by flags - here is a map of campus.
If you will arrive on campus outside of normal business hours (Before 8:30am or after 5:00pm)
Students living on-campus, go to the Department of Public Safety (Wool Center - Room 11, 3545 Lindell Blvd, 63108). If the external doors of the Wool Center are locked, please press the buzzer next to the door so the Public Safety Officers can let you in and help you to get to your on-campus housing.
Students who are NOT living on-campus or have not yet applied for on-campus housing, please plan to stay in a hotel near campus.
All students arriving outside of normal business hours, please come to the Office of International Services as soon as possible during normal business hours to check-in.