- About the College
History of the College and its Programs
Celebrating more than 80 years of educating health care and social service leaders
+ The economic and social turmoil following the stock market crash in 1929 presented new challenges to the emerging social work profession and expanded demand for professionally trained social workers, one that the ten academic social work programs extant in 1929 could not meet.
+ The social turmoil of the early thirties also stimulated one of the pioneers in Catholic social thought, Father Joseph C. Husslein, S.J to propose a new program of social work education at Saint Louis University, and in 1930 an undergraduate program in social work was established in the University's School of Sociology, which he headed.
+ The social work program was initially accredited in 1933 by the American Association of Schools of Social Work. Recognizing the need for further professionalization of social work, and following a recommendation from the accrediting body, the University converted the program from an undergraduate degree to a master's level degree that same year.
+ Consistent with its mission and that of the University, in 1939 the social work program became the first department at SLU to accept an African American student.
+ In 1940, Father Husslein (right) retired after guiding the University's social work commitment through a decade of continuous growth and expanded recognition, and was replaced by Father Shiller, who directed the school for the next 23 years. Click here to read a historical article about the School of Sociology and Father Husslein.
+ Father John J. Flanagan, S.J., President of the Catholic Health Association, recognized the need for a graduate program in health care administration to meet the leadership needs for the extensive number of Catholic hospital systems in the U.S. Saint Louis University responded, and a health administration program was established in 1947.
+ Father Flanagan (left) continued as President of the Catholic Health Association, but also assumed the chairmanship of the SLU Department of Health Administration, which was housed with the CHA in its Grand Boulevard headquarters.
+ In 1958, SLU began offering a research doctorate in health services administration.
+ As social work education grew as an academic program across the country, the Council on Social Work Education was formed in 1952, and the SLU program was admitted as a charter member.
+ Continuing its close affiliation with CHA, the hospital administration program grew rapidly, increasing the number of master's graduates from nine in 1950 to 35 in 1959.
+ Father Coughlin, S.J. (right) became director of the social work program, now located in the University's Graduate School, in 1963.
+ In 1964, the social work program was separated from the Graduate School and became an autonomous School of Social Service.
+ Recognizing a need for post-graduate training for executives in the fast changing hospital environment, the department of health administration established a ground-breaking Health Executive Development program in 1967.
+ In 1967, Father Flanagan received the coveted Distinguished Service Award of the American Hospital Association in recognition of his leadership in both the Catholic Health Association and in graduate education for health administration.
+ The Accrediting Commission on Education for Health Services Administration (ACEHSA) was established in 1968 and the SLU program was in the first group of such programs receiving accreditation.
+ The School of Social Work moved into its new and current home, Tegeler Hall in 1971. It is named after Jerome F. Tegeler, a 1929 SLU graduate and member of the Board of Trustees whose generous donation made the new structure a reality. His son, Timothy Tegeler, continues the family's commitment to the School. His financial contributions have been significant in assuring that Tegeler Hall is maintained as a modern, well-equipped, state-of-the art building.
+ The School of Social Work re-established a bachelor of science in social work program in 1974, providing undergraduate education in the field for the first time since 1933.
+ The University began to offer a Master of Public Health degree for the first time in 1979.
+ That same year, 1979, the new MPH, and the established MHA and doctoral degrees were placed in a single administrative unit in the SLU Medical Center, the Center for Health Services Education and Research (CHESR) under the leadership of Thomas Dolan Ph.D.
+ The Center for Health Services Education and Research (CHESR) Master in Public Health received initial programmatic accreditation in 1983.
+ CHSER director, Thomas Dolan became President and CEO of the American College of Healthcare Executives and was succeeded at CHSER in 1987 by James Kimmey, M.D.(left), a public health physician.
+ Planning began in 1989 for transitioning CHSER to become a full School of Public Health.
+ The Center for Health Services Education and Research (CHESR) faculty began to teach Master of Public Health courses in Jefferson City and Kansas City in 1990 to reach the population employed by the state and local health departments.
+ CHSER relocated to O'Donnell Hall (right) in 1990 in anticipation of expanded needs with the School of Public Health moving toward university approval.
+ The School of Public Health was established by the University in 1991. Built on the base of the established graduate programs housed in CHSER, the SLU School of Public Health was the first of its kind at a Catholic, Jesuit University.
+ With strong support from the University and the public health community, the school applied for accreditation in 1994 and was fully accredited in 1995.
+ The School of Social Work created the Doerr Center for Social Justice Education and Research in 1996. The Center was initially funded by a generous gift from Emmett J. and Mary Martha Doerr. The Center hosts a wide range of activities to support social justice.
+ Responding to the increased awareness of biological threats to the public, the Institute for Biosecurity was established in the School of Public Health in 2000.
+ To keep up with expansion, the School of Public Health moved to the Salus Center at the Medical Center in 2001.
+ In 2005, the School of Social Work joined the College of Education and Public Service as one of five professional programs.
+ As a way of expanding educational opportunities in social work to working adults, the School of Social Work added the evening undergraduate program in 2007.
+ In 2007, Donald Linhorst Ph.D. became director of the School of Social Work.
+ The effort to expand opportunities for social work education continued in 2009 with establishment of a continuing education program in the School.
+ In response to a high level of interest among potential students, the School of Public Health introduced an undergraduate degree in health management in 2009.
+ The School of Social Work added its first off-campus Master of Social Work program in 2010.
+ In 2010, the School of Public Health expanded from two to five departments reflecting the growth in the several fields that make up academic public health.
+ Edwin Trevathan, MD, MPH became Dean of the School of Public Health in 2010, and the School added a new undergraduate degree in public health in the same year.
+ In 2011, The School of Social Work added programs in Applied Behavior Analysis.
+ The School of Public Health expanded its undergraduate offerings in 2012, adding a degree in emergency management.
+ In late 2011, discussions began concerning the feasibility of a closer alignment of academic programs in public health and social work, a process that resulted in a proposal for merger, and creation of a College for Public Health & Social Justice, approved by the University Trustees in September 2012.
+ On July 1, 2013, the College for Public Health & Social Justice began full operation as an academic unit of Saint Louis University.
+ In September 2013, the university's board of trustees voted to launch two new graduate programs including a PhD in Social Work and a Master of Science in Criminology and Professional Practice.