Making An Appointment
- To schedule an appointment with the counseling center, please call 314-977-7192.
- Our patient care coordinator will gather some preliminary information about your request. In most cases, you will receive a call from one of our clinical staff within 48 business hours.
- The clinical staff will conduct a brief phone screening and then talk with you about options for making an appointment.
- For any questions or concerns related to appointments, insurance, or other administrative issues, you can leave a message and your call will be returned the next business day.
- Fax Number: 314-977-1339.
- Appointments are available 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (occasionally, there may be later appointment times available).
- The Counseling Center is closed on all University holidays. Click here for a list of holidays.
First Appointment Checklist
- Make sure you know where we are located
- Arrive 15-20 minutes early to complete registration and paperwork
- Bring your insurance card
- Bring contact information of former providers you have seen (i.e. psychiatrists or counselors)
- Come prepared with questions (e.g. insurance, billing, counseling-related)
What To Expect at Your First Appointment
- Your appointment will typically last 30-50 minutes
- Your counselor will be compassionate, understanding, and will listen to you
- Your counselor will ask you questions about your reasons for coming and your background
- Your counselor will give you feedback and recommendations
- You may be asked to sign a release of information so we can get previous mental health records
- In some cases, you may be referred to a physician and/or psychiatrist
- At particularly high volume times of the year, you may receive a referral to an outside provider
- You should ask your counselor any questions you have
For Mental Health Emergencies
after hours, on the weekends, or on holidays, please call (314) 977-2323
A licensed mental health professional is on call 24 hours per day, every day of the year to assist you.
If there is a life threatening emergency, call 911 immediately.
If You Need To Change an Appointment
- Call at least 24 hours in advance to cancel or change appointments
- Call 314-977-7192
- Ask your counselor if they prefer you to contact them directly