Dr. Bill Thacker
Department of Physics
College of Arts and Sciences
Saint Louis University
St. Louis, MO 63103, USA.
Ph.D. in Physics from the University of Colorado-Boulder
M. S. in Physics from University of Illinois, Urbana
B. S. in Physics from Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Theoretical Physics. Theory and Modeling of Turbulence. Focus of current research includes:
- Turbulence in time-dependent mean flows
- The influence of compressibility on turbulent correlations involving pressure
- Development of turbulence models that incorporate transition
- Probability density functions for turbulence and for chaotic advection
- Theory of chaos and dynamical systems
- Quantum information theory
- W. D. Thacker, S. Sarkar, and T. B. Gatski, "Analyzing the Influence of Compressibility on the Rapid Pressure-Strain Rate Correlation in Turbulent Shear Flows", Theor. Comput. Fluid Dyn. Vol. 21, pp. 171-199 (2007) Click here to view paper (for TCFD subscribers only)
- Pablo Hidalgo, Amy W. Lang, William D. Thacker, "POD Study of the Coherent Structures within a Turbulent Spot", AIAA Paper presented at the 44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting January 9-12 2006, Reno NV
- W. D. Thacker, S. Sarkar, and T. B. Gatski, "An Analysis of the Rapid Pressure-Strain Rate Correlation in Compressible Shear Flow", in the Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Turbulence and Shear Flow Phenomena in Williamsburg, VA, 27-29 June 2005.
- C. L. Rumsey, W. D. Thacker, T. B. Gatski, and C. E. Grosch, "Analysis of Transition-Sensitized Turbulent Transport Equations", American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Paper 2005-0523, presented at the 43rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, January 10-13 2005, Reno NV.
- C. D. Pruett, T. B. Gatski, C. E. Grosch, and W. D. Thacker, " The temporally filtered Navier-Stokes equations: Properties of the residual stress", Physics of Fluids, Vol. 15, pp. 2127-2140 (2003).
- W. D. Thacker, T. Gatski, and C. Grosch, "Modeling the dynamics of ensemble-averaged linear disturbances in homogeneous shear flow", Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, Vol. 63, pp. 39-58 (2000).
- W. D. Thacker, T. Gatski, and C. Grosch, "Analyzing mean transport equations of turbulence and linear disturbances in decaying flows", Physics of Fluids, Vol. 11, pp. 2626-2631 (1999).
- W. D. Thacker, "A path integral for turbulence in incompressible fluids", Journal of Mathematical Physics, Vol. 38, pp. 300-320 (1997).
- W.D. Thacker, "New Formulation of the Classical Path Integral with Reparameterization Invariance", Journal of Mathematical Physics vol. 38, pp.2389-2416 (1997).
- V.V. Dixit, T.S. Santhanam, and W.D. Thacker, "A Supersymmetric Dirac Oscillator with Scalar Coupling", Journal of Mathematical Physics vol. 33, pp.1114-1117 (1992).
- E. Gozzi, M. Reuter, W.D. Thacker, "Symmetries of the Classical Path Integral on a Generalized Phase Space Manifold", Physical Review vol. D46, pp.757-765 (1992).
- V.V. Dixit, T.S. Santhanam, and W.D. Thacker, "Mass Matrix with Symmetric Mixing", Physical Review vol. D43, pp. 945-947 (1990)
- G. Giavarini, E. Gozzi, D. Rohrlich, and W.D. Thacker, "Classical Adiabatic Holonomy in Field Theory", Physical Review vol. D42, 2252-2262 (1990).
- J. Kupsch and W.D. Thacker, "Euclidean Majorana and Weyl Spinors", Fortschritte der Physik vol. 38, pp. 35-62 (1990).
E. Gozzi, M. Reuter, and W.D. Thacker, "Hidden BRS Invariance in Classical Mechanics II", Physical Review vol. D40, pp. 3363-3377 (1989).
G. Giavarini, E. Gozzi, D. Rohrlich, and W.D. Thacker, "On the Removability of Berry's Phase", Journal of Physics A vol. 22, 3513-3529 (1989), (with G. Giavarini, E. Gozzi and D. Rohrlich).
E. Gozzi and W.D. Thacker, "Classical Adiabatic Holonomy and its Canonical Structure", Physical Review vol. D35, pp. 2398-2406 (1987).
W. Drechsler and W. D. Thacker, "Generalized Spinor Fields and Gravitation", Classical and Quantum Gravity vol. 4, pp.291-318 (1987).
A.O. Barut and W.D. Thacker, "Zitterbewegung of the Electron in External Fields", Physical Review" vol. D31, pp.2076-2088 (1998).
Current and Recent Student Projects
Chaos in Simple Fluid Flows
Blood Flow Simulations
Planetary Waves and Weak Turbulence
Modeling Energy Transport in a Photosynthetic Antenna Complex
Quantum Mechanics and Local Realism
Entanglement in Bohm's Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics