Blackboard Learn (formerly SLU Global)Saint Louis University uses Blackboard Learn 9.1 for its Learning Management System. This application supports faculty and student customers for both the St. Louis and Madrid campuses and provides access to many great tools to support SLU's educational mission.
COURSES IN BLACKBOARD LEARN
Access your courses by clicking on the Blackboard Learn icon on the Tools tab of mySLU. Depending on your role at SLU and enrollments, you may see two kinds of courses in Blackboard Learn:
- Courses in Banner Self-Service: All courses for each term are automatically created in Blackboard Learn; however, the instructor has the choice whether or not to utilize Blackboard Learn and when to make the course available for students.
- Courses not in Banner: Departments, programs, and instructors may have a need for a course in Blackboard Learn that is not tied to a course in Banner. These courses can be used for course development, department/program orientation content, or other purposes. Faculty and staff can request a non-Banner course in Blackboard Learn by filling out the request form.
NEWS! SLU Global became Blackboard Learn on Saturday, May 18, 2013
Information Technology Services upgraded the current SLU Global Service Pack 7 to Blackboard Learn 9.1 Service Pack 11 (SP11) on Saturday, May 18.
What was included in the upgrade?
- The name "SLU Global" has gone away. The learning management system will now be referred to as simply "Blackboard Learn." You may also see this abbreviated as "Bb Learn."
- The upgrade includes a more contemporary design, improved accessibility features, and some long-awaited functionality. The new user interface will be similar to a new theme being laid over the existing one and should be fairly intuitive to current SLU Global users. The basic functionality of the course will work the same way as the current version. The improvements include:
- Automated Regrading of Tests
- Test Item Analysis
- New Content Editor (formerly the Text Editor)
- Improved copy from Microsoft Word and paste in the Content Editor
- Course Copy File Selections
- Enhanced Calendar
- Streamlined Discussion Board
- The new My Blackboard Menu provides quick access to other courses, posts, updates, and your calendar.
- Course Color Themes that can be applied to courses
- Security Updates
- The New 2013 Theme
- Please note: The videos linked to above were created by Blackboard and may show some features that are not available under SLU's Blackboard Learn license.
- The URL (i.e. link) for the system has changed from global.slu.edu to blackboard.slu.edu. Users will continue to be able to access Bb Learn from the Tools tab of mySLU.
- Faculty Support information for Bb Learn has moved to a new home here, under the ITS website.
- Respondus will be upgraded to version 4.0.5.04, and new settings to connect to Blackboard Learn will be released.
Note: The Blackboard Learn Mobile app is not directly impacted by this upgrade. The Mobile app update schedule is managed by the Blackboard Mobile development team according to a separate schedule.
What should you do now that the upgrade has been completed?
Review your courses within Blackboard Learn:
- Open your course(s) and review the left-side course menu to see if you want to make any adjustments to the menu background or text colors.
- Notice that the former ‘SLU Global Support' link in the course menu has been updated to ‘SLU ITS Support'.
- Check out the new features within Blackboard Learn as listed above.
- After the Blackboard Learn upgrade, Respondus will need to be updated before you can publish tests to your Blackboard Learn courses.
- The Respondus update includes a new version of the software, 4.0.5.04, and new connection settings for Blackboard Learn.
- For SLU-managed computers with Respondus version 4.0.5 installed, the update will be automatically pushed to your computer by Tuesday, May 21.
- If you have installed Respondus on a personal computer you will need to follow the instructions on the Respondus page to upgrade your computer.
Update documentation you / your department may have about SLU Global to update names and links, such as:
- Replace textual references to "SLU Global" with "Blackboard Learn"
- Blackboard Learn direct-login URL
- Replace any links to global.slu.edu with blackboard.slu.edu.
- It is recommended that users access Blackboard Learn via the icon on the Tools tab in mySLU.
- Blackboard Learn General Information links
- The new URL for Blackboard Learn product information on the ITS website is:
- The permanent link for this page is www.slu.edu/x30586.xml.
- Faculty Support Information links
- The new page for Blackboard Learn Faculty Support information is:
- The permanent link for this page is www.slu.edu/x77454.xml.
Don't forget to change any Bookmarks or Favorites within your browser(s) to point to the new links above!
If you have any questions about the May 2013 upgrade, please contact the Blackboard Faculty Support Team at 314-977-2252. Faculty can also e-mail the team at email@example.com.
SUPPORTED BROWSERS & OPERATING SYSTEMS
View the Blackboard Learn Browser Compatibility List to find an appropriate supported operating system/browser for your computer. Please note that other applications you may use, such as Tegrity, may have different supported browsers.
The Faculty Technical Support Team can be contacted at 314-977-2252. Support hours are Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Faculty can also e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Faculty Support pages for help with Blackboard Learn.
Faculty can get help incorporating Blackboard Learn into a course from the Center for Transformative Teaching and Learning (CTTL): email@example.com. Contact the CTTL to discuss why and how best to use this or any other technology to achieve your instructional goals.
Top Faculty FAQs:
- How do I make my SLU Global course available to my students?
View the Screen Shots Version or the Video Version of the instructions.
- How do I add the "My Grades" tool so students can see their grades in SLU Global?
View the Screen Shots Version of the instructions.
- How do I copy one class to another within SLU Global?
View the Screen Shots Version or Video Version of the instructions.
- How do I add Teaching Assistants, Graders and Co-Instructors to my SLU Global course?
Please e-mail the request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the course number and the user's name and SLU Net ID.
Students can visit the Tech Services Center website for tutorials and FAQs, or contact the Student Service Desk at 314-977-4000, extension 2.
STANDARD MAINTENANCE WINDOW
As with all technology, sometimes you have to apply an upgrade or swap out old hardware. The standard planned maintenance windows for the Blackboard Learn system are Wednesday 10 - 12 p.m. or Saturday 6 a.m. - 12 p.m CDT. What this means is that if system maintenance is required, any downtime would be scheduled during one of those two maintenance periods. These times were selected based on system usage reporting to identify lower-usage periods. The maintenance schedule will then be communicated to the University community via Newslink.
Occasionally, other systems that the Blackboard Learn system relies on have maintenance occurring outside those times, and we are forced to schedule outside those windows. Whenever we have an planned maintenance outage, we try to notify the University community as soon as we possibly can.
Updated: 5/19/2013 by KRS