- Majors & Programs
- Bachelor's Degree Programs
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems
- B.A. in Criminal Justice & Security Management
- B.A. in Education / Teacher Certification Programs
- B.A. in Education
- Teacher Certification
- Alternative Certification
- Renaissance Programs Overview
- Teacher Certification Program Requirements
- Education / Teacher Certification Careers
- B.A. in General Studies
- B.A. in Organizational Studies
- B.S. in Aeronautics, Aviation Management
- B.S. in Nursing - RN to BSN
- B.S. in Organizational Leadership & Technology
- B.S. in Social Work
- Contract Degree Option
- Core Curriculum
- Minor & Certificate Programs
- Master's Degree Programs
- Accelerated Bachelor's to Master's Programs
Renaissance Programs Overview
Mission Statement of the Renaissance Programs
The mission of the Renaissance Programs, Renaissance Program in Education and Renaissance Alternative Educator Preparation Program, is to facilitate the preparation of professional educators who are reflective practitioners dedicated to academic excellence, ethical practice, and servant leadership.
Education Unit of Saint Louis University
The Renaissance Programs function as part of the Institution's Education Unit, which also includes the Department of Counseling and Family Therapy, the Department of Educational Administration and Higher Education, and the Department of Educational Studies. The unifying concept on which the Education Unit of Saint Louis University bases educator, administrator, and school counselor preparation is the Reflective Practitioner.
The four essential elements that support this framework are:
- Intellectual Inquiry and Communication -- identified in educators who practice reflective critical thinking in their interactions within the educational community;
- Community Building -- identified in educators who seek out and engage others in a collaborative exchange of information, in considering alternatives, and in sharing leadership for reaching common goals;
- Leadership and Service -- identified in educators who serve others and promote social justice; and
- Spirituality and Values -- identified in educators who collaborate with others, exercise good stewardship, and model professional and Jesuit-inspired values in their decision-making.
The main objective of the Renaissance Programs is to prepare dedicated practitioners who exhibit the knowledge, skills, and dispositions embedded in the Conceptual Framework of the Education Unit. Program completers are prepared to be reflective educators who are able to implement educational programs consistent with their area of certification.
Those who complete the Renaissance Programs are prepared to serve as educator in public and private education. Renaissance Programs are approved as innovative educator preparation programs by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
The Education Unit is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (MODESE). The 2009 Institutional Report can be viewed online as well as the Renaissance Program's Annual Report.
The Renaissance Programs' Handbook contains policies and program guidelines including degree program checklists for the Renaissance Program in Education and Renaissance Alternative Educator Preparation Program.
Additional Handbooks for the Renaissance Programs include:
- Handbook for Educator Candidates for Educator Candidates, Cooperating Educators and University Sponsors
- Classroom Teaching Handbook for Educator Candidates, Cooperating Educators and University Sponsors
- Professional Internship Handbook for Educator Candidates, Mentor Educators and University Supervisors
- Educator Work Sample Document
- Assessment Handbook
|Register today for an upcoming online Information Fair to learn more about our programs.||If you'd like more information about the best and most flexible adult degree completion programs in St. Louis, fill out our information request form to contact our dedicated admissions office.||New terms begin every few weeks. If you're ready to get started, apply now and you'll be on your way.|
|Connect with SLU SPS!|