Patrick M. Dreiling, DDS, MS
Dr. Dreiling was the eighth person in his family to graduate from Saint Louis University's School of Dentistry, but the first person in his family to earn a degree from the Graduate Orthodontic Program in the Class of 1969. The building that houses the Center for Advanced Dental Education (CADE) is named in part after Dr. Dreiling. When Dr. Dreiling pledged $1.3 million toward the renovation of the existing facility, he requested that the building be named in honor of Dr. Marshall. Dr. Marshall was overwhelmed by the honor and at first declined. He relented only after Dr. Dreiling agreed to share the name. The building is named Dreiling-Marshall Hall in their honor.
Lysle E. Johnston, Jr., DDS, MS, Ph.D
Dr. Johnston succeeded Dr. Marshall in 1976 and served as Chairman of the Graduate Orthodontic Program until 1991. During his tenure, he significantly advanced research activities, which resulted in numerous awards. In 2001, Dr. Johnston was awarded the Albert H. Ketchem Award, the highest honor given by the American Board of Orthodontics. In 2006, Dr. Johnston received the Jarabak Memorial Orthodontic Teachers and Research Award and received Professor Emeritus status at Saint Louis University.
Peter C. Kesling, DDS, Sc.D
Dr. Kesling was instrumental in the development of the architecture of the building for CADE. He donated $1 million for the renovation of the facility and the Orthodontic Clinic is named the Kesling Clinic in his honor. He has been a faculty member since 1953. Dr. Kesling founded TP Orthodontics and is still active in the company. He also holds several patents and collects antique cars. His son, Christopher K. Kesling, DDS, MS, is an alumnus from the Class of 1984 and is an Assistant Clinical Professor in the Graduate Orthodontic Program.
Kenneth C. Marshall, DDS, MS
Dr. Marshall initiated the Graduate Program in Orthodontics in 1948 and was the first Chairman, serving in that capacity until 1976. When the School of Dentistry closed in 1971, Dr. Marshall convinced University President Paul Reinert, SJ and the Board of Trustees to keep the Graduate Orthodontic Program alive, promising it would be a self-sustaining operation. Under his guidance, the program gained recognition for excellence through his watchword, RESULTS.
Leo W. Mastorakos, DDS, MS
Dr. Mastorakos, a Graduate Orthodontic Alumnus of the Class of 1954, was a great friend and teacher of the Orthodontic Program and one of the early graduates. He continued to support the program and teach throughout his life until his death in 1992. Dr. Mastorakos received numerous awards from his students for his work both in the classroom and the clinic. His son, Dr. William L. Mastorakos, a 1983 graduate of the Graduate Orthodontic Program, continues his father's tradition today.
Quentin M. Ringenberg, DDS, MS
Dr. Ringenberg, a Graduate Orthodontic Alumnus of the Class of 1954, was one of the program's most dedicated teachers and researchers. His contributions to the program were recognized by naming the main lecture hall at CADE in his honor. The Ringenberg Auditorium is a state-of-the-art multi-media theatre that seats eighty people and is used for resident and continuing education classes.
Gus G. Sotiropoulos, DDS, MS
Dr. Gus, a Graduate Orthodontic Alumnus of the Class of 1952, has been a dedicated and beloved instructor for over sixty years. Dr. Gus, Professor and Assistant Clinic Director of the program, holds the record as the longest serving faculty member in the program (1952-present). He has maintained active participation in the Cleft Palate Program at Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital since 1950. Dr. Gus is also known for his poetry and is the author of the poem, "What is an Orthodontist."
Peter G. Sotiropoulos, DDS, MS
Dr. Pete is one of the first two graduates of the Graduate Orthodontic Program Class of 1950. He succeeded Dr. Johnston as Chairman in 1991 and served in that capacity until 1996 when he became Executive Director of CADE (1996-1998). He also served as Interim Executive Director of CADE from 2001-2003. Prior to these appointments, Dr. Pete was a clinical professor and instructor in the program for forty-one years. He is the second longest serving faculty member in the program (1950-2007.) Dr. Pete currently holds the title of Professor Emeritus.
Vernon E. Truetzel, DDS, MS
Dr. Truetzel holds the distinction of being one of the first two graduates of the Graduate Orthodontic Program (Class of 1950). He started the Tweed Typodont Course, along with Dr. George Uchiyama, and co-taught the course from 1945-1995. Dr. Truetzel was a past recipient of the Alumni Merit Award. The Uchiyama-Truetzel Award was established in his (and Dr. Uchiyama's) honor in 1997 and is given annually to the resident who is most adept in the Pre-Clinical Tweed Typodont Technique Course. Dr. Truetzel passed away in April 2000, but his course is still being taught to this day.
George S. Uchiyama, DDS, MS
Dr. Uchiyama, a Graduate Orthodontic Alumnus of the Class of 1952, joined the faculty the year after his graduation. He started and co-taught the Tweed Typodont Course, along with Dr. Vernon Truetzel, from 1945-1995. He had a long list of awards and achievements and was known to many as the "gentle giant." He also taught the Tweed Course overseas and was respected internationally as well. The Uchiyama - Truetzel Award was established in his (and Dr. Truetzel's) honor in 1997 and is given annually to the resident who is most adept in the Pre-Clinical Tweed Typodont Technique Course. Dr. Uchiyama passed away in September 1999, but his course is still being taught to this day.