- When in doubt, just get out. When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire. Pull the fire alarm on your way out. Be sure others are getting out and you have a clear path to the exit. Call the Department of Public Safety at (314) 977-3000 after you leave building.
- Always keep an oven mitt and a lid nearby when you are cooking.
- If a small grease fire starts in a pan, smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan (make sure you are wearing the oven mitt). Turn off the burner. Do not move the pan. To keep the fire from restarting, leave the lid on until the pan is completely cool.
- In case of an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning you or your clothing.
- If you have a fire in your microwave oven, turn it off immediately and keep the door closed. Never open the door until the fire is completely out. Unplug the appliance if you can safely reach the outlet.
- After a fire, both ovens and microwaves should be checked and/or serviced before being used again.