English Club Activities
Members of the English Club attend various Department events together, such as this year's visits by Salman Rusdie, Elie Wiesel, and Tracy Kidder, the African Female Directors Film Series, and the Sheila Nolan Whalen Reading Series in Creative Writing. The Club also has a very full slate of activities of its own. Here are highlights from this year.
- Welcome Home party for new and returning English students (in August).
- Mentoring middle-school students at Loyola Academy, a high-intensity Jesuit college-preparatory school near the University that gives at-risk children a way out of poverty and a chance to succeed in school (throughout the year).
- Studio St. Louis mentoring program for middle-school children interested in writing, composing, and publishing their own magazine (on many Saturday mornings during the year). Saturdays @ The Studio is popular with English Club members and was featured in The University News. Click here to read about it.
- Annual student-faculty "Throw-Down Bowling Challenge" (in October). Click here to view recent photos of the event.
- Holiday Party, welcome to new faculty, and induction ceremony for new students into Sigma Tau Delta, the national English honorary society (in December).
- "Chaucerathon" of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, spoken aloud at a public event by English students and faculty continuously from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on a single day (in the spring).
- Spring Awards Ceremony for English faculty and students (in April).