Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D., named President of Saint Louis University
Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D., has been named president of Saint Louis University. The University's Board of Trustees elected Dr. Pestello during a special meeting Thursday night. He is the first permanent lay president in SLU's 196-year history.
"I am humbled and honored to follow in the footsteps of the Jesuit presidents who have come before me, and I am deeply committed to carrying on the mission they have fostered so well," Dr. Pestello said. "I have been watching Saint Louis University's progress for years, and I am thrilled for this opportunity to lead an institution that I admire and respect so much." | Read more
• A letter from President-elect Pestello
• Thank you, Father Biondi
• Sept. 30, 2013: Presidential Search Update
• Oct. 1, 2013: Letter from Presidential Search Chair
• Oct. 29, 2013: Presidential Search Update
• Presidential Search Website
• Saint Louis University Calendar of Events | Newslink | Announcements
Dissertation DefensesThe schedule will be updated throughout the term.
- Colleen Harmeling, a Ph.D. candidate in Marketing & International Business, will defend her dissertation, "Defining Moments: Understanding Transformational Relationship Events" on August 12, 2014 at 12:00 pm in John and Lucy Cook Hall Room CK 230.
- Thomas Rowland, a Ph.D. candidate in English, will defend his dissertation, "Reading Games and Playing Stories: Find Videogames in the Long History of Reading" on August 14, 2014 at 1:00 pm in Adorjan, Room 341.
- Anne Walk, a Ph.D. candidate in Psychology-Cognitive Neuroscience ,will defend her dissertation, "The Effects of Auditory and Language Experience on Tasks of Sequential and Spatial Learning" on August 15, 2014 at 1:00 pm in Busch Student Center Room 351.
- Kim Alexander, a Ph.D candidate in Educational Foundations, will defend her dissertation, "Transitional Programs Mitigating Reading Disparities," on August 26, 2014 at 1:00pm, in Fitzgerald Hall, Room 218.
The Honorable Michael Wolff Selected as Dean of School of Law
A current SLU LAW faculty member, Wolff brings an established record of leadership to his new role, having served 13 years on the Missouri Supreme Court and as its Chief Justice from 2005-2007.
Also . . .
Center for Global Citizenship: Making a World of Difference
As Saint Louis University's international reputation grows, so has the global presence on its St. Louis campus. This May, the University opened its $8 million Center for Global Citizenship, located in the newly renovated West Pine Gym.
Also . . .
The Reading List: Online reports on college, careers and more
Articles and information from the World Wide Web
"From school to work to school again: the changing face of graduate education" (First in a series about graduate education from the St. Louis Beacon)
"The financial burden of graduate education" (Second in a series about graduate education from the St. Louis Beacon)
"Successful job hunt means returning to basics " (Third, and final, in a series about graduate education from the St. Louis Beacon)