University Inaugurates First Lay President in its Nearly 200-Year History
It was a historic day for Saint Louis University on Oct. 3, as nearly 2,500 people came together in Chaifetz Arena to celebrate the inauguration of SLU's new president Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D.
A Roman Catholic and Jesuit educated, Pestello is the first permanent lay leader in the University's 196-year history — a fact that was not lost on many of the speakers at Friday's event.
>> Read more
• Dr. Fred P. Pestello Named President of Saint Louis University
• A letter from President-elect Pestello
• Thank you, Father Biondi
• Sept. 30, 2013: Presidential Search Update
• Oct. 1, 2013: Letter from Presidential Search Chair
• Oct. 29, 2013: Presidential Search Update
• Presidential Search Website
• Saint Louis University Calendar of Events | Newslink | Announcements
Dissertation DefensesThe schedule will be updated throughout the term.
- Sophia Qian Niu, a Ph.D. candidate in Biology, will defend her dissertation, "Hydrologic Characteristics, Trophic Interactions, and Aquatic Assemblages in Temperate Stream Systems," on May 28, 2015 at 1:00 P.M. in Macelwane Hall 142.
- Xiaolong Lu, a Ph.D. candidate in Biology, will defend his dissertation, "The Membrane-Anchored Ubiquitin-Fold Protein (MUB) Regulates Ubiquitylation Reactions," on June 2, 2015 at 9:30 A.M. in Room 204 of Macelwane Hall.
- Eunice Joy G. Perez, a Ph.D. candidate in Clinical Psychology, will defend her dissertation, "Assessing Psychotherapy Outcome in a Clinical Psychology Training Clinic," on June 4, 2015 at 10:00 A.M. in Room 2714 of Morrissey Hall.
- Alexey V. Semenov, a Ph.D. candidate in International Business and Marketing, will defend his dissertation, "Offsetting Liability of Foreignness within Various Geographic and Institutional Contexts: Examining the Effects of Cultural Intelligence and Firms' Advantages on the MNEs International Strategic Choices," on June 15, 2015 at 2:00 P.M. in Room 452 of Davis-Shaughnessy Hall.
- Chris Sebelski, a Ph.D. candidate in Higher Education Administration, will defend her dissertation, "Perceptions of Leader Self-Efficacy of Academic and Clinical Physical Therapists," on June 16, 2015 at 10:00 A.M. in Room 218 of Fitzgerald Hall.
The Saint Louis University Board of Trustees has elected Board member Joseph ("Joe") Conran to be its next chairman, effective at the December Board meeting. At that time, current Chairman Joe Adorjan will become Chairman Emeritus and will remain on the Board. Patrick Sly will continue to serve as Vice Chairman of the Board.
Also . . .
The Doisy College of Health Sciences is proud to announce the Department of Physical and Athletic Training was awarded a bid by the World Federation of Athletic Training and Therapy (WFATT) to host its World Congress on the Saint Louis University campus on June 20-22, 2015.
Also . . .
The Reading List: Online reports on college, careers and more
Articles and information from the World Wide Web
"From school to work to school again: the changing face of graduate education" (First in a series about graduate education from the St. Louis Beacon)
"The financial burden of graduate education" (Second in a series about graduate education from the St. Louis Beacon)
"Successful job hunt means returning to basics " (Third, and final, in a series about graduate education from the St. Louis Beacon)