Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D., named President of Saint Louis University
Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D., has been named president of Saint Louis University. The University's Board of Trustees elected Dr. Pestello during a special meeting Thursday night. He is the first permanent lay president in SLU's 196-year history.
"I am humbled and honored to follow in the footsteps of the Jesuit presidents who have come before me, and I am deeply committed to carrying on the mission they have fostered so well," Dr. Pestello said. "I have been watching Saint Louis University's progress for years, and I am thrilled for this opportunity to lead an institution that I admire and respect so much." | Read more
• A letter from President-elect Pestello
• Thank you, Father Biondi
• Sept. 30, 2013: Presidential Search Update
• Oct. 1, 2013: Letter from Presidential Search Chair
• Oct. 29, 2013: Presidential Search Update
• Presidential Search Website
• Saint Louis University Calendar of Events | Newslink | Announcements
Dissertation DefensesThe schedule will be updated throughout the term.
- Alicia Hoover, a Ph.D. candidate in Chemistry will be defending her dissertation, "Development of a Polystyrene-Based Microfluidic Device to Monitor Cellular Release," on Friday, October 10, 2014 at 1:30 pm in TGH 101.
- Barbara Ann Hinze, a Ph.D. candidate in Health Care Ethics will be defending her dissertation, "A Distant Pain": Narrative Bioethics and the Lived Experience of Alienation in Advanced Stage Cancer Patients, October 27, 2014 at 10:00 am in the Salus Center, Room 1412D.
- Melissa Berrien Elliott, a Ph.D. candidate in Molecular Microbiology and Immunology will be defending her dissertation, " Checkpoint Blockade Immunotherapy Attenutates Mechanisms of CD8+ Tcell Tolerance for the Treatment of Leukemia", October 24, 2014 at 2:00 pm in Doisy Research Center 9th Floor.
- Kathy M. Leach, a PhD candidate in Nursing will be defending her dissertation , Early Warning Signs of Delirium: The Family's Perspective, on October 16, 2014 at 1:00 p.m. in the School of Nursing 541.
The Honorable Michael Wolff Selected as Dean of School of Law
A current SLU LAW faculty member, Wolff brings an established record of leadership to his new role, having served 13 years on the Missouri Supreme Court and as its Chief Justice from 2005-2007.
Also . . .
Center for Global Citizenship: Making a World of Difference
As Saint Louis University's international reputation grows, so has the global presence on its St. Louis campus. This May, the University opened its $8 million Center for Global Citizenship, located in the newly renovated West Pine Gym.
Also . . .
The Reading List: Online reports on college, careers and more
Articles and information from the World Wide Web
"From school to work to school again: the changing face of graduate education" (First in a series about graduate education from the St. Louis Beacon)
"The financial burden of graduate education" (Second in a series about graduate education from the St. Louis Beacon)
"Successful job hunt means returning to basics " (Third, and final, in a series about graduate education from the St. Louis Beacon)