University Inaugurates First Lay President in its Nearly 200-Year History
It was a historic day for Saint Louis University on Oct. 3, as nearly 2,500 people came together in Chaifetz Arena to celebrate the inauguration of SLU's new president Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D.
A Roman Catholic and Jesuit educated, Pestello is the first permanent lay leader in the University's history — a fact that was not lost on many of the speakers at Friday's event.
>> Read more
• Dr. Fred P. Pestello Named President of Saint Louis University
• A letter from President-elect Pestello
• Thank you, Father Biondi
• Sept. 30, 2013: Presidential Search Update
• Oct. 1, 2013: Letter from Presidential Search Chair
• Saint Louis University Calendar of Events | Newslink | Announcements
Dissertation DefensesThe schedule will be updated throughout the term.
- Kelly Dineen, a Ph.D. candidate in Health Care Ethics, will defend her dissertation, "The Good, the Deviant, and the Human: Exploring Select Provider- and Policy-Based Barriers to Appropriate Treatment and Prescribing Practices for Patients in Pain," on July 7, 2015 at 11:00 A.M. in Room 1412D of Salus Center.
- Michael Mwangi Kariuki, a Ph.D. candidate in Educational Foundations, will defend his dissertation, "Factors that May Influence Hispanic Kansas High School Students' Decision to Attend College," on July 9, 2015 at 2:30 P.M. in Room 123 of Fitzgerald Hall.
- Jill Touchette, a Ph.D. candidate in Pharmacological and Physiological Sciences, will defend her dissertation, "Dysfunction of Catecholaminergic Systems in Parkinson's Disease: New Rat Models of Dopaminergic and Noradrenergic Neuropathology," on July 13, 2015 at 3:00 P.M. in Lecture Hall 3 of Schwitalla Hall.
- Elsedikk Abdelkader, a Ph.D. candidate in Chemistry, will defend his dissertation, "Synthesis and Characterization of Reactive Nanoparticles Using Electrical Explosion of Wires and Reverse Micelles," on July 29, 2015 at 1:00 P.M. in Room 342 of Macelwane Hall.
- Darren Garbuz, a Ph.D. candidate in Mathematics, will defend his dissertation, "Decomposing Gluing Maps for Heegaard Diagrams in Terms of Lickorish Generators," on July 29, 2015 at 10:00 A.M. in Room 1030 of McDonnell-Douglas Hall.
The Saint Louis University Board of Trustees has elected Board member Joseph ("Joe") Conran to be its next chairman, effective at the December Board meeting. At that time, current Chairman Joe Adorjan will become Chairman Emeritus and will remain on the Board. Patrick Sly will continue to serve as Vice Chairman of the Board.
Also . . .
The Doisy College of Health Sciences is proud to announce the Department of Physical and Athletic Training was awarded a bid by the World Federation of Athletic Training and Therapy (WFATT) to host its World Congress on the Saint Louis University campus on June 20-22, 2015.
Also . . .
The Reading List: Online reports on college, careers and more
Articles and information from the World Wide Web
"From school to work to school again: the changing face of graduate education" (First in a series about graduate education from the St. Louis Beacon)
"The financial burden of graduate education" (Second in a series about graduate education from the St. Louis Beacon)
"Successful job hunt means returning to basics " (Third, and final, in a series about graduate education from the St. Louis Beacon)