Associate Professor [tenured]
Department of Physics
College of Arts and Sciences
Saint Louis University
St. Louis, MO 63103, USA.
phone: (314) 977-2530
Doctor of Philosophy in Physics, University of Colorado, Boulder, May 1991
Master of Science in Physics, University of Colorado, Boulder, August 1987
Master of Engineering in Engineering Physics, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, August 1995
Bachelor of Science in Physics, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, May 1984
- 1996-1999: Tenured Associate Professor of Physics, St. Louis University
- 1991-1996: Assistant Professor of Physics, St. Louis University
- 1994 St. Louis University Young Researcher Award
- Autobiographical sketch in the 4th edition of Marquis's Who is Who in Science and Engineering
- Citation index shows my work has been cited in over 150 publications in more than 25 countries
- M. Nikolo and R. B. Goldfarb, Flux creep and activation energies at the grain boundaries of Y-Ba-Cu-O superconductors, Phys. Rev. B 39, 6615 (1989).
- M. Nikolo, Density and texture dependence of grain coupling in sintered Y-Ba-Cu-O superconductors, Physics and Materials Science of High Temperature Superconductors, Edited by R. Kossowsky, NATO ASI Series, Kluver Academic Publishers, Dordrecht/Boston/London, 711 (1990).
- M. Nikolo, Pinning mechanisms and pinning sites in high-Tc superconductors-a review, Appl. Phys. Comm. 10, 1&2, 143 (1990).
- K.-H. Muller, M. Nikolo, and R. Driver, Flux pinning at grain boundaries in Bi-(Pb)-Sr-Ca-Cu-O ceramic superconductors, Phys. Rev. B 43, 7976 (1991).
- K.-H. Muller, M. Nikolo, N. Savvides, and R. Driver, Ac susceptibility of high-temperature ceramic superconductors: critical state and creep at grain boundaries and in grains, Advances in Superconductivity III, Proceed. of the 3rd International Symposium on Superconductivity (ISS'90), November 6-9, 1990, Sendai, Japan, Springer-Verlag Tokyo 1991.
- S. M. Nikolo, W. Kiel, H. M. Duan, and A. M. Hermann, Flux creep activation energies In Tl-Ba-Ca-Cu-O crystals, Phys. Rev. B 45, 5641 (1992).
- M. Nikolo and A. M. Hermann, High-field ac susceptometer design for single crystal measurements, Susceptibility of Superconductors and Other Spin Systems, edited by R. A. Hein, Plenum Press, New York, 553 (1992).
- M. Nikolo, Flux dynamics in high temperature superconductors, Superconductor Science and Technology 6, 618 (1993).
- M. Nikolo, L. M. Stacey, and M. J. Missey, Critical state model and ac susceptibility of high temperature superconductors, Physica B 194-196, 1875 (1994).
- M. Nikolo, Intergranular activation energies in YBa2Cu3O7 bulk superconductors, Physica B 194-196, 2129 (1994).
- M. Nikolo, L. M. Stacey, M. J. Missey, Frequency and magnetic field dependence of the ac susceptibility peak in YBa2Cu3O7, Appl. Physics Comm. 13, #1 (1994).
- M. Nikolo, Intergranular activation energies in YBa2Cu3O7 bulk superconductors-II, Appl. Physics Comm. 13 #2 (1994).
- M. Nikolo and M. J. Missey, Frequency dependent flux dynamics: Flux creep hopping rate via ac susceptibility, Physica C, 235-240, 2899 (1994).
- M. Nikolo, Superconductivity: A guide to ac susceptibility measurements and ac susceptibility design, Am. J. Physics, 63, 57 (1995).
- M. Nikolo, L. M. Stacey, and M. J. Missey, Induced voltage magnetization waveforms and the spectral response at the grain boundaries of YBCO superconductors and the Critical State Model, Solid State Comm., 94, 997 (1995).
- M. Nikolo and R. B. Goldfarb, Flux creep activation energies at the grain boundaries of Y-Ba-Cu-O superconductors, Proc. of the 6th Japan-US Workshop on High-Field Superconducting Materials and Standard Procedures for High-Field Superconducting Materials Testing, Boulder, Colorado, Feb. 22-24, 1989, 75, ed. K. Tachikawa, published by U. S. Department of Energy (1989).
- M. Nikolo and M. J. Missey, Frequency dependent flux dynamics: Flux creep and ac susceptibility, Fourth Nordic Symposium on Superconductivity, May 25-28, 1994, Varberg, Sweden, 59, published by Chalmers University of Technology, and Goteborg University (1994).
- US-Japan Conference on Superconductivity, Feb. 1989, Boulder, Colorado. One of 18 Americans invited to participate.
- American Physical Society Meeting, March 1989, St. Louis, Missouri.
- International Cryogenics and Materials Conference, July 1989, UCLA, Los Angeles.
- NATO Advanced Study Institute On High Temperature Superconductors, Aug. 1989, Bad Windsheim, Germany.
- Workshop on Superconductivity, July 1990, Melbourne, Australia. Our work presented by K.-H. Muller.
- International Symposium on Superconductivity, Nov. 1990, Sendia, Japan. Our work presented by K.-H. Muller.
- Materials Research Society Conference, Nov. 1990, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Oxford University, Oxford, England, January, 1991 - Physics Department Colloquium.
- Cambridge University, Cambridge, England, January, 1991 - Superconductivity Group Colloquium.
- Imperial College, London, England, January, 1991 - Physics Department Colloquium.
- Invited Speaker. Office of Naval Research Workshop on Magnetic Susceptibility of Superconductors, Coolfont, West Virginia, May 1991. Best 35 workers in the research area of ac susceptibility from U.S., Europe, Japan, and Australia assembled for a first ever conference on ac susceptibility.
- CSIRO (Australian National Laboratory), Applied Physics Division, Sydney, Australia, January, 1992. Colloquium.
- LT-20 International Low Temperature Symposium, August 4-11, 1993, Eugene, Oregon, two presentations.
- Invited talk at Purdue University, W. Lafayette, Indiana, August, 1993.
- Invited talk at Argonne National Laboratory, Chicago, November, 1993.
- Invited talk at Washington University, St. Louis, November, 1993.
- Invited to participate in the 1994 Gordon Research Conference on Superconductivity in Oxnard, California, January, 1994. All attendance by invitation only. Attendance from around the world limited to about 100 top researchers in the field.
- Midwest Superconductivity Consortium Meeting, Bloomington, Indiana, January, 1994.
- Invited to give talk at the Fourth Nordic Symposium on Superconductivity, May 1994, Varberg, Sweden. One of only 3 Americans to give a paper.
- Fourth International Conference on Materials and Mechanisms of Superconductivity, Grenoble, France, July, 1994.
- International Cryogenic Materials Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii, October, 1994. One of only 3 American presentations on Flux Dynamics.
- Invited to participate in the 1995 Gordon Research Conference on Superconductivity, Sept., 1995, Les Diablerets, Switzerland.