Saint Louis University will not advertise with, financially support, or make gifts to other not-for-profit organizations, with the following exceptions:
- Civic/community organizations may be supported through the purchase of tables for banquets. The Provost, appropriate Dean or Vice President, may make such decisions, unless the total amount exceeds $1,500; in which case approval is needed from the President. Public Relations will maintain a list of those events that are supported annually, such as the Urban League Dinner. Schools, colleges and centers that wish to support certain events on a recurring basis, with an annual cost below $1,500, will pay the costs.
- The Provost, appropriate Dean or Vice President, may approve financial support up to $300 for neighborhood and community events in situations where the mission of the University and special goals of the school or college will be advanced. Consultation with the Associate Vice President for Public Relations is required if the financial support is in excess of $300. An example would be participation by Parks College in aviation events.
- The purchase of advertising in event programs or directories is discouraged unless a specific marketing objective may be achieved. Advertisements that achieve a specific marketing objective and have a cost of $300 or less may be placed with the approval of the Provost, appropriate Dean or Vice President. Advertisements that achieve a specific marketing objective and have a cost of greater than $300 may be placed with the approval of the Provost, appropriate Dean or Vice President, and the Associate Vice President, University Public Relations. All advertising must comply with Saint Louis University advertising and logo standards as set forth by the University Public Relations department.
- A Dean or Vice President should use discretion in approving support for conferences for academic or professional organizations in which their faculty or staff participate.
- Gifts of cash to another not-for-profit organization may be approved only by the President of the University, as this is not normally an appropriate use of University resources. Gifts of property with a total value over $1,500 must also be approved by the President.
- Student-sponsored fund-raisers are excluded from this policy. However, any gifts of funds from fees, alumni dues, or tuition are subject to this policy.
This policy applies to all staff and faculty of Saint Louis University.