Academic advising within Student Development supports transitioning students by promoting the holistic development of the individual student. To this end, we foster educational responsibility, encourage campus involvement and promote reflective decision-making through quality academic advising within an inclusive and neutral environment.Vision Statement:
Major Exploration is committed to student exploration through proactive engagement and reflection in line with the Jesuit identity of Saint Louis University. As educators, we will achieve this by:
Goals of the Major Exploration advising process are:
- Creating intentional activities to teach students about the four dimensions of self-knowledge (self, academic, career, and decision-making).
- Encouraging research, reflection, and experiential learning founded in an Ignatian approach to exploration.
- Providing intentional and developmental academic advising that is conscious of each student's personal and educational goals.
- Maintaining a supportive community environment that connects students with faculty, the Student Success Center, and the greater university community.
- Partnering with Career Services to provide additional support to students in their vocational discernment.
- Teaching students how to navigate Saint Louis University in order to successfully manage their educational experience.
- To support and assist students through the exploration process.
- To aid students in their understanding of academic policies and procedures.
- To cultivate an environment that encourages self-reflection in the Ignatian tradition.
- To encourage students to take an active role in their educational experience.
- To promote positive working relationships between students, advisors, faculty, and staff.