Security Of and Access To Campus Facilities
If you are trying to request special access to a building or access during non-business hours please submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about card access or building access in general you can email email@example.com as well.
Residence Hall Access
Saint Louis University's facilities consist of a number of residential facilities with more than
3,400 students living on-campus:
• 24-hour security desks are in operation in most residence halls. Student personnel monitor all people who enter the facility and, at various times and locations, control lobby door access. All residence halls, with the exception of two student apartment complexes, have both front door and security desk card readers. Security personnel have access to telephones and panic alarm buttons that immediately notify Department of Public Safety & Emergency Preparedness (DPSEP) dispatchers in the event of an emergency.
• University identification cards are required to enter the residence halls, and nonresidential
student guests must be acknowledged by desk personnel and accompanied by a resident student.
• Exterior emergency exit doors are electronically monitored with local alarms or alarms
that immediately notify DPSEP of a potential breach in security.
• Student rooms are equipped with security locks and keys that are stamped "Do Not
Duplicate." If a key is lost, the lock is changed promptly after the missing key is reported
to a University official.
• Housing and Residence Life student staff members live on most residence hall floors
and professional staff members live in most facilities. A Housing and Residence Life
staff member is always available or on call if needed.
• Students living on-campus periodically are reminded to keep their doors locked and
to have valuables secured. The Student Handbook provides additional information and details on residence hall policies and procedures relative to maintaining a safe, secure environment.
Nonresidential Building Access
• Academic buildings are locked following the last classes of each day and are reopened
by Department of Public Safety & Emergency Preparedness Officers prior to the beginning of classes the next day. All academic buildings have card access systems that allow access only with an appropriate access card.
• Students entering academic buildings after normal business hours must have written
permission from the appropriate dean or have made other arrangements with an academic
department or the Department of Public Safety & Emergency Preparedness.
• University parking garages are gated and have closed-circuit television cameras and
voice intercoms, as well as emergency telephones and panic buttons, which are monitored
by a security officer stationed in the garages at all times.
• A desk worker monitors access to the Simon Recreation Center, and a desk worker is
on location at the main entrance of the Busch Student Center.
• Campus lighting has been installed in and around many campus facilities for increased
safety and security. Large portions of University property are fenced to divide
SLU space from the surrounding area.
• Public Safety officers constantly patrol University property and monitor
University buildings for safety and security issues.
• Certain facilities are equipped with intrusion alarms. Appropriate University employees are introduced to alarm usage and key control as part of their duties.