Executive Master of Health Administration (EMHA)
Distance Learning, Hybrid Format MHA
Sample Curriculum (Minimum 60 Credit hours)
Hybrid Format (EMHA) Requirements: The hybrid format (EMHA) requires the completion of the core curriculum to receive an MHA degree.
Core Courses (Each course is 3-credit-hours)
Elective Courses (Choose 2 electives)
The minimum total credit-hours required is 60.
Advance Your Career on Your Time
The nation's top-ten ranked Master of Health Administration (MHA) program (U.S. News & World Report) is now offered as a blended, online program for busy managers and clinicians. The Executive Master of Health Administration (EMHA) program is designed to fit the needs of working professionals looking to advance their careers in the health care field.
This program uses state of the art distance learning technology to deliver exceptional health management education to those with busy schedules. Students who complete this 60-credit-hour program graduate with the same MHA degree as students of SLU's full-time resident program. Whether you are a doctor or nurse looking for management expertise, a current health care executive or middle manager or a newcomer to the industry, the EMHA program offers many benefits for a wide range of working professionals.
Designed for the self-motivated and mature professional, the 60-credit-hour EMHA blends online, distance-based learning technologies with periodic classroom sessions (one Saturday per month). Students are able to access online lectures and coursework from any location, minimizing time away from work, friends and family. During on-campus sessions, students will interact with world-class faculty and benefit from the knowledge and experience of fellow classmates.
The EMHA is a highly individualized program, allowing students to choose their course load each semester based on their professional and academic goals. The duration of the program is variable, lasting either two or four years depending on each student's needs. Each student also has the option of attending on-campus classes in the resident MHA program if their schedule permits.
Take Knowledge Back to Work
Employers and organizations will benefit from the EMHA coursework as students continuously apply cutting-edge health care management and theories. Each course is designed to provide students with opportunities to complete projects and assignments that are relevant to their work or professional experiences, benefiting both the employer and the student.
Grow in a Leading Industry
The demand for highly skilled health care management professionals continues to grow. Health care is the largest industry in the U.S., and the second largest employer, providing more than 11 million jobs. Graduates of health care management programs can find significant opportunities throughout the world, in locations ranging from small rural communities to large metropolitan areas. As the only Commission of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME) accredited MHA program in the St. Louis area, the EMHA provides students with a strong foundation for understanding the complex and evolving field of health care.
SLU's internationally-recognized faculty are available to students by virtual office hours, by phone and by email. Courses in the EMHA program are taught by the same faculty as SLU's resident MHA program.
The EMHA is limited to established professionals looking to advance their careers. Applications are considered on an individual basis. Application requirements include:
- At least three years of professional experience in a health care or health-related organization.
- An earned baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university (a transcript from this institution is required).
- A résumé or curriculum vitae and a one-two page, double-spaced essay describing interests in the field, career goals and objectives.
- Three confidential letters of recommendation from individuals qualified to evaluate an applicant's potential for success in the program.
The GRE or other test scores are not required for the EMHA.
Why Choose SLU
- SLU is a nationally and globally recognized leader in health care management education, ranked top ten in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
- In keeping with SLU's Jesuit mission, the MHA program prides itself on its value-focus as the program gives great attention to ethical issues and compassion within the health care industry.
- Students do not have to wait until they graduate to begin improving health management practices and outcomes. While enrolled, students will be encouraged to use their knowledge and skills for the betterment of their current work places through various course objectives and projects.
- The EMHA program includes substantial interaction with academic experts and leading health care management executives from all areas of the industry.
If you'd like more information about SLU's EMHA program, fill out our information request form to contact our office.
Applications are now being accepted. If you're ready to get started, apply now.