Students in the University Honors Program must complete a minimum of 24 units of Honors credit to earn an Honors degree, split between 18 "in-class" and six "out of class" credit hours:
- In-class credit hours include the required University Honors Program courses (such as HR 190: Crossroads and the Honors Senior Seminar) along with Honors-only courses, cross-listed courses, contract courses and independent courses.
- Contracts must be submitted to the University Honors Program by the first Friday of the semester and must be approved by the program's staff.
- Out of class credit hours include HR 490: Senior Capstone, teaching assistantships, studying abroad, internships and participation in research.
- Students must submit a proposal to the University Honors Program for their thesis/capstone project. Proposals are due the semester prior to beginning the project.
- For students who entered the program prior to fall 2012, these credits also include attending approved campus/community events and writing a subsequent reflection paper as part of the Honors Interdisciplinary Program (HIP). For more information, consult the HIP manual.
Remaining in Good Standing
In addition to meeting the course requirements above, Honors students must also:
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5
- Earn Honors credits every year
If a student's cumulative GPA drops below 3.5, the student is placed on probationary status and works with an Honors advisor to develop an improvement plan. A failure to subsequently return to good standing will result in dismissal from the University Honors Program.
Students who meet all of the requirements graduate with an Honors distinction on their transcripts, an award above the Latin honors of cum laude, etc.
Honors Curriculum Guides
Fall 2014 Honors Courses
The following sections are Honors-only courses. You should check to see if these courses fit into your schedule first.
- 14091 HIST 111 12H: Origins of the Modern World to 1500, MWF 9-9:50 a.m.
- 14096 HIST 112 01H: Origins of the Modern World, 1500-Present, MWF 10-10:50 a.m.
- 10079 PHIL 205 03H: Ethics, TR 9:30-10:45 a.m.
- 18252 PHIL 205 04H: Ethics, TR 11 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
- 18521 THEO 100 54H: Theological Foundations, TR 12:45-2 p.m.
- 18523 THEO 220 03H: New Testament, MWF 8-8:50 a.m.
- 18533 THEO 253 01H: The Church: Yesterday and Today, TR 11 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
You can find the most current list of all the Honors sections of courses here. Please note that this list is subject to changes and updates, as some academic departments are still finalizing schedules.
Finding Honors Courses using Banner Self-Service
To search for Honors courses using Banner Self-Service, select the appropriate term, campus and department and then click Honors Course in the attribute box.
Honors courses can also be found by searching either "Honors" (in the case of HR 190: Crossroads and some upper-level requirements) or the academic discipline (history, theology, etc.) in Banner's drop-down department menu. Honors courses in other academic departments are indicated by an "H" in the section number. For example, THEO 275 01H would be the Honors section of THEO 275 01.