- News and Events
- Ferguson Support
- SLU LAW 2015 Human Trafficking Symposium
- Clinics 40th
- PILG Auction 2014
- Law Student Symposium 2014
- PDP Alumni Appreciation Night
- Scott Hall Inaugural Year Events
- James C. Millstone Memorial Lecture 2013
- James C. Millstone Memorial Lecture 2015
- Court Week
- Health Law Symposia
- Public Law Review Symposia
- Richard J. Childress Memorial Lecture
- SLU Zone Third Thursday Promotions
- Scholarship Day
- Vincent C. Immel Lecture
- Preparing "Justice Ready" Lawyers
- When Justice Kennedy Came to Class: Reflections on the Power of Story
- Dining, Lodging, and Travel
- US Labor Law: A Political Battlefield
- Past Events
- Scott Hall Information
- Submit a news item
- Videos and Podcasts
- Contact Communications
Vincent C. Immel Lecture on Teaching Law
The Vincent C. Immel Lecture on Teaching Law celebrates the life and career of one of the School of Law's most esteemed professors. This annual lecture focuses on different topics of interest shared by teachers and students across all areas of legal education.
Professor Immel began teaching at SLU LAW in 1958 and taught Contracts and Remedies through 2004. His enthusiasm for teaching and high expectations for his students were apparent throughout the decades.
He was selected so often as Teacher of the Year that the honor was eventually named after him. Upon reaching the school's mandatory retirement age of 70 in 1990, Professor Immel took emeritus status and proceeded to teach a full course load without pay for the last 13 years of his career. He passed away Nov. 26, 2009 at age 89.
In ultimate testament to their affection and his influence, alumni established and continue to fund both the Vincent C. Immel Scholarship Fund and the Vincent C. Immel Professorship at Saint Louis University School of Law.
Just like those who support these funds named for him, Professor Immel believed in the power of giving to SLU LAW and was among the ranks of the school's most generous annual donors. To commemorate Professor Immel's tremendous influence, the School of Law announces the Vincent C. Immel Society. Membership in the Immel Society is granted to those donors who annually give $1,000 or more to the law school.