Special Circumstance Appeals are available to students who have experienced a significant change in income since the filing of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current academic year.
- Students must have a valid FAFSA on file with the office of student financial services prior to review of any special circumstances.
- The review of special circumstances is handled on a case by case basis.
- Please allow 2-4 weeks for review and notification.
- Changes resulting from this review do not guarantee an increase in aid.
- The student must complete all questions on the form and provide all requested documentation. If requested documentation is not attached or items are missing or left blank, this form will be returned unprocessed.
- If clarification of the situation is necessary, this office may request additional information or documentation beyond the requested items below.
- It is our policy not to consider a reduction in income for the following:
- Unusual expenses related to personal living (e.g., wedding expenses, credit card bills, home mortgage, school loan payments, car payments, legal expenses or other miscellaneous consumer item expenses).
- Reductions in overtime pay or one time winnings (this will be reflected on the following year’s aid applications).
For a copy of the Special Circumstance Appeals form, please see the Policies and Forms section of this website.