SLU Major Histories Go Digital
The SMA 21 located in the Lewis Annex of Pius XII Memorial Library is one globetrotting piece of machinery.
Built in Germany and on loan from the University of Hawaii, the book scanner is now with the Saint Louis University Digitization Center where librarians and archivists use the machine to digitally preserve old and rare texts.
Recently, Saint Louis University Libraries has added six major histories to their Digital Collections. The volumes from the library's Special Collections, some of which have long been out of print, have been digitized and organized into fully searchable online resources to make them immediately accessible to students, faculty, staff, and alumni, as well as researchers outside the University.
The University histories included in this collection are:
Better the Dream: Saint Louis: University and Community 1818-1968 by William B. Faherty, S.J.
The official history of Saint Louis University, written to commemorate SLU's 150th anniversary in 1968.
Parks College: Legacy of an Aviation Pioneer by William B. Faherty, S.J.
The history of Parks College and its founder, Oliver Lafayette Parks, from the 1920s into the 1990s.
Men to Remember: Jesuit Teachers at Saint Louis University, 1829-1979 by William B. Faherty, S.J.
This third book by Fr. Faherty is a series of short biographies of famous Jesuits in SLU's history.
Saint Louis University: 150 Years by Rita Adams
A collection of photos, made in 1968 to accompany Better the Dream.
Memorial Volume of the Diamond Jubilee of St. Louis University
A short history of SLU written in 1904 for the St. Louis World's Fair and SLU's 75th anniversary.
Historical Sketch of the Saint Louis University by Walter Hill, S.J.
The first history of SLU, written by a famous SLU philosophy professor in 1879, nearly a decade before SLU moved to its current location.
As part of an agreement with the Law Library Microform Consortium to house the SMA 21, SLU archivists must devote 20 hours a week to scanning and preserving old legal and government texts. Once they complete that, the staff is free to use the scanner on other University projects, such as University history texts and class yearbooks.
Other collections available in the Digital Collections include University course catalogues dating back to 1828, a photo archive with nearly 8,000 photographs and an exhibit on Radio WEW, the original radio station of the University and the second oldest radio station in the United States.
Future projects for the Digitization Center include the Woodstock Letters, correspondence from the now defunct Woodstock College, and the Fleur-de-lis, SLU's former literary magazine.
Saint Louis University provides access to these materials for educational research purposes only. For materials protected by copyright, permission to publish must be obtained from the respective copyright holder. For Saint Louis University publications, permission must be sought from Saint Louis University.