In light of shared responsibility, the Department of Public Safety and Security would like to offer you a few simple things that you can do to ensure that your valuables are safe and secure.
Here are five safety tips from DPSSS for securing personal property:
- Students, lock your dorm room, apartment or office door when you leave, even if you expect to be gone for only a short while. Faculty and staff, lock your office door, especially when you leave for the day or when no one else is in the office.
- Don't allow people you do not know to "tailgate" you into card-access buildings. If you need an ID card to enter a residence hall or another building on campus, so do they.
- Never prop open exterior doors.
- Never leave laptop computers, textbooks, cellular phones, purses or book bags unattended in open campus areas. If you leave your dorm room or office, don't leave valuables in plain sight.
- With the holiday shopping season getting under way, it's important that you remember to lock your valuables in the trunk of your car or take them with you.
- For more safety tips and emergency preparedness information, visit dps.slu.edu.