Facilities Services supports the use of environmentally and socially preferable products wherever possible through the balance of economic feasibility and environmental responsibility. We support services and companies with strong commitments to sustainability.
- Green Seal cleaning products - Our contract specifies green chemicals and associated pricing. These chemicals were selected based on efficacy and our goal to be as green as possible.
- Green Seal certifies products based on lifecycle sustainability standards and recognized as a Type-I Eco-label. The EPA advocates for use of Green Seal cleaning products.
- 54% of cleaning products (by FY12 total expenditures) are "green"
- Custodial Services is actively involved in using Green Seal certified products, with the aim of increasing the amount of certified products over time.
- The following is a list of green cleaning product vendors used on campus: Claire Manufacturing, Diversey, GOJO industries, PITT Plastics, SCA, and GP.
- Green cleaning policy
- Custodial Services uses Tork© (towel, tissue and napkin) paper products certified by EcoLogoTM - the "Environmental Choice"
- Stickers can be found on some restroom dispensers across campus, with a full scale roll out of the entire campus soon.
- The EcoLogoTM program is a product certification program that is recognized as a Type-I Eco-label by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), certifying environmental leaders using sustainable products. To receive certification, products are compared to others within specific categories and scientifically tested by relevant criteria throughout their lifecycle.
- GreenGuard certification for indoor air quality
- Custodial Services has partnered with Johnson Diversey to implement the Healthy High Performance Cleaning program (products, tools and procedures
- Because of this program, 6 buildings on campus have received GreenGuard certification (BSC, DuBourg Hall, McDonnell Douglas Hall and the Wool Center)
- The GreenGuard program, overseen by the GreenGuard Environmental Institute, is a n indoor air quality certification that incorporates the Standard for Cleaning Products and Systems.
- Certification can only be obtained if the cleaning products used in the building have m et the strict criteria for chemical emissions limits. Building audits are done to ensure that the cle ani ng products, training and systems are being utilized appropriately and effectively.
- Paper reduction (Staples)
- 24,895 lbs. of paper reduced since 2008 - Saving 320 Trees
- Saving 72,759 lbs. of greenhouse gas emissions (CO2) equivalents
- Check out this data from Staples
- By switching from tri-fold paper towels to roll paper towels with perforation, we save 1.3 million square feet of paper and $12,000 annually.
Saint Louis Univesity's paper & cleaning products vendor. Xpedx is our distributor for products from both, SCA and Johnson Diversey.
Xpedx visited campus, Spring 2012, to give this presentation describing their sustainabiliy efforts.
SCA Tissue believes in a holistic approach to sustainability, using a closed loop manufacturing system to consider the product lifecycle every step of the way, even beginning the paper manufacturing process from 100% recycled fiber.
Saint Louis University works with JohnsonDiversey to increase building management satisfaction, improve cleaning efficiency and environmental impact of cleaning products and practices.
Office products supplier of Facilities Services.