Established in 2010 by a grant from the Alberici Foundation, Saint Louis University's Center for Sustainability offers in-demand graduate degrees in Sustainability and Urban Planning and Development and a graduate certificate in Advanced Remote Sensing (ARS) and Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
The mission of the Center for Sustainability is to create a more sustainable world through interdisciplinary education, research, and community engagement.
- Develop educational programs that integrate interdisciplinary theories, concepts, and models of sustainability.
- Foster a holistic understanding of the complex causal forces creating sustainability-related issues.
- Prepare future sustainability practitioners and leaders, who are committed to a balanced pursuit of social, environmental and economic development.
- Encourage interdisciplinary collaboration in the pursuit of solutions to sustainability-related issues.
- Deliver solutions that preserve and replenish Earth's natural resources.
- Build external partnerships with businesses, government agencies, communities and academic institutions.
- Collaborate with stakeholders within SLU to integrate sustainability into operations, internal processes and curriculum.
- Encourage actions that improve quality of life