Saint Louis University
School of Nursing
office: (314) 977-1906
fax: (314) 977-8949
Teaching: I've been with the School of Nursing since 2012 and instruct undergraduate and graduate-nursing students.
Practice: Care of chronically ill children (e.g., cancer, sickle disease, recipients of kidney transplants).
Program of research:
- Palliative and end-of-life communication.
- Parent information preferences.
- Hope and spirituality among adolescents with cancer.
- 2-year Research Fellowship with Dr. Pamela S. Hinds at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, funded by Oncology Nursing Foundation.
- Research Fellow, College of Palliative Care Research Scholars Program.
- 3-year post-doctoral fellowship at the School of Nursing at Indiana University, funded by NIH-NINR NRSA Research Training Grant (PHS T32 NR 07066).
Principal Investigator (PI) Funding:
- Oncology Nursing Foundation (2 grants).
- Alex Lemonade Children's Cancer Foundation (Mid-Career Grant).
- R21 Exploratory Grant: "Timely End-of-life Communication for Parents of Children with a Brain tumor, funded by NIH-NINR (No. 1R21RO11071-01A1).
Site PI Funding:
- RO1 longitudinal grant titled, "Stories and Music for Adolescent/Young Adult Resilience during Transplant" that was funded by the NIH-NINR (R01NR008583), National Cancer Institute (U10CA098543), and Children's Oncology Group (ANUR0631).
Co-PI Funding on 2 Faculty-Staff Mentor Grants:
- St. Louis Children's Hospital and Missouri Baptist Hospital.
Professional and Scholarly Activities:
- Local, national, & international presentations.
- Publications in peer-reviewed nursing journals.
- Official reviewer for the International Journal of Cancer Nursing.
- Oncology Nursing Society.
- Association of Pediatric-Hematology Oncology Nurses.
- Hospice/Palliative Care Nursing Association.
- Sigma Theta Tau International.
- Midwest Nursing Research Society.
- Certificate as a Pediatric End-of-Life Trainer for Health-Care Providers (ELNEC).
- Certified Hospice and Palliative Pediatric Nurse by the National Hospice and Palliative Nursing Credentialing Center.
- PhD, Rush University, St. Louis, Missouri
- MSN, Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, Illinois
- BSN, Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, Illinois