In order for students to use the SLU Visa Service, they must submit or mail the following documents to Des Peres Hall, Room 102 before March 20, 2015 at 4:00 (no extensions).
Please use the checklist below to assure you have submitted all the necessary forms. You may also print off the checklist here.
- TWO copies of the Application for National Visa Form: Complete one application and then make a copy. Copies must be done before submitting entire application. Illegible applications will not be accepted. Glue (do not staple) one passport-size picture on each of the forms.
- Instructions on how to fill out the application can be found here.
- Sample of completed application here
- 2 Passport style photos: Photos should be 2 x 2, full head from top to bottom looking at the camera, on a white background. The Consulate will not accept the application unless the pictures are identical and correct. The Study Abroad fee which will be charged to your student account covers 4 passport style photos (2 photos for the program, 2 photos for the student visa) which you can take at the International Services Office (Des Peres Hall room 102). These must be professional passport photos. NO SCANNED PHOTOS & NO PRINTED PHOTOS ARE ACCEPTED.
- Original Passport : Submit the original passport booklet, making sure that it is signed and valid for at least one year from the date of application. It must contain at least one blank page to affix the visa. Non-U.S. citizens will also need a U.S. Visa with I-20/IAP-66 or "Alien Registration Card" (http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/alienregistration_card.html)
- 2 Copies of passport identification page- Along with the original passport, we will need a copy of your passport identification (photo) page. This copy must already be made at the moment of turning in completed paperwork.
- Proof of residency in the Consulate's Jurisdiction: Submit a photocopy of a driver's license, U.S. state ID or Voter's Registration Card, which serves as proof of the permanent residence in a state that is served by the Chicago Consulate. SLU students, please provide a copy of your SLU ID.
- Proof of Admission and Proof of Medical Insurance: The Madrid Campus will provide students with three letters in Spanish that must be submitted with the visa application. Two of these letters will be on Saint Louis University Letterhead and will prove admission. One begins with the word "CERTIFICA" and the other is an admissions acceptance letter. In addition, an insurance letter from SANITAS will be sent which proves medical insurance. Once you have paid the confirmation fee the Study Abroad Office will generate the letters. You must submit the original letters, no printed copies will be accepted
- Students using the SLU Visa Service:
For students using the SLU Visa Service, the Office of International Services will provide and attach your Proof of Admission and Proof of Medical Insurance when you submit your completed visa application packet.
- Students not using the SLU Visa Service:
Please email email@example.com to arrange the delivery of your documents.
- Evidence of funds: Provide one of the following documents:
- Notarized letter of parents/custodians, assuming full financial responsibility for at least $2,200 per month. Suggested wording: "I hereby certify that I, the (father, mother, other), of (full name), will support her/him with a monthly allowance of $2,200 while she/he is in Spain and that I am financially responsible for any emergency that may arise."
- Proof of financial aid or scholarship of at least $2,200 per month (at least $8.800). This statement must be on your university's letterhead and must state that the aid can be applied to the Saint Louis University Madrid Campus during the specific term you will be there.
- Notarized Visa Authorization Form : This form is included in this document and must be signed in front of a notary public. SLU students may do this in the Office of International Services at Saint Louis University. If filled out before getting the form notarized, DO NOT DATE FORM OR SIGN, this must be done in front of notary.
- Visa Information Form: When the visa has been issued, the passport with the visa inside will be sent by FedEx to the address specified in this form. In the case of an address change, please notify the Office of International Services.
- Fee: Please pay here for the visa application fee (consulate fee) and the SLU Visa Service fee. The SLU Visa service fee is $75. The consulate fee, set by the Spanish Government, will depend on if you are a U.S. citizen ($160) or non U.S. ($74).
- Medical Statement (long-stay only, for visas over 180 days): Submit a doctor's recent statement (issued within three months from the application date), on doctor's or medical center's letterhead, indicating that "the student has been found to be free of any illnesses that may have serious public consequences, as described and established in the International Health Regulation of 2005". This needs to be authenticated by the Apostille of Hague, so we recommend you request the medical note be notarized.
- FBI background check authenticated by the FBI legalized with the Apostille of the Hague Convention (long-stay only, for visas over 180 days): This may take up to 12 weeks to obtain so please apply for it taking in account the SLU Visa service deadline of March 20, 2015. Attached to the email, please print and fill FBI Applicant Information Form and FBI Identification Record Request.