- $750 - $1,500
- 1-2 recipients per term will be selected
Do You Qualify?
This award is for any fully admitted new or transfer student who is also a single, working parent. Up to two awards will be given each term. The scholarship is not automatically renewable. Students must reapply every term. Students needing assistance with any part of this application should speak with their advisor or admissions counselor.
To be eligible for the Doris Lee O'Donnell Memorial Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria at the time of application:
- Submitted all required official transcripts and officially admitted into an SPS bachelor’s degree program within the past 2 terms and/or no more than 6 credit hours completed with SPS.
- Have completed the FAFSA and accepted or denied your award as necessary through Banner Self-Service. Include a print out of your completed award decision with your application.
- Submit a maximum 300 word essay addressing the following topic: "As a single, working parent, what has been the greatest challenge you have faced while pursuing your degree? Why do you believe you are deserving of this award?"
- Receive less than the equivalent of 9 credit hours ($5400) in tuition assistance per year (exclusive of aid received through the FAFSA, such as federal loans or grants). Students must submit a list noting source of funding and amount of assistance received.
- Be a single, working parent.
To apply for this scholarship, qualified students should:
- Fill out and submit the below application by the deadline.
- Include the essay described above.
- Include the list of tuition funding sources, if necessary, as described above.
- *Include a print out of your FAFSA award decisions from Banner Self-Service.
*Items marked with as asterisk can be submitted in person at the St. Louis or Belleville offices, by mail to School for Professional Studies, 3840 Lindell Blvd, St. Louis, MO 63108; Attn: Scholarships, or by fax to (314) 977-2333. Applications will not be considered complete until all materials are submitted.
School for Professional Studies (SPS) scholarships are awarded to qualified students enrolled in a program issued by SPS. The number and profile of applicants will vary by term; consequently, a student may be awarded a scholarship one term, but not the next. SLU employees and/or family members who qualify for SLU tuition remission are not eligible to receive SPS scholarships. The scholarships are not cash refundable and are applied directly to the cost of tuition for the term awarded. Receipt of an SPS scholarship is contingent upon successful completion of the enrolled courses each term. Students who withdraw from courses may be subject to forfeiture of all monies awarded by SPS.
Doris Lee O'Donnell Memorial Scholarship