University Health Plan and Billing Procedures
REMEMBER: Review Information on Required Health Forms & Immunizations
University Health Plan (UHP)
Saint Louis University requires all full-time undergraduate and graduate/professional students to have basic health insurance. Instructions to waive or enroll through Aetna online.
- If a student already has other (non-University Health Plan) health insurance coverage in effect, then coverage under the (UHP) may be waived by submitting a waiver request online through Aetna Student Health. Students should have their insurance information available when they submit requests as they will be asked detailed information about their coverage.
- Full-time undergraduate and graduate/professional students that do not waive UHP coverage will be automatically charged for UHP covering all semesters and/or terms in which they are registered and must enroll in the UHP online at Aetna Student Health. Full time students can remain on the plan through the summer if they are full time in the spring and will be again in the fall, though it is not required by the university at this time.
- Part-time undergraduate and graduate/professional students are strongly encouraged to have health insurance coverage, but it is not a requirement of the university. Visit Aetna Student Health for a list of eligible groups or call 314-977-7168 to find out if you may be eligible to voluntarily enroll in the University Health Plan.
Student Health Center Insurance Billing Procedures
- You are responsible for paying any co-payments, co-insurance or deductibles outlined by your insurance policy. If you do not have health insurance, you will be billed on a fee-for-service basis.
- Co-payments and payment for medication received at Student Health Center are required to be paid at the time of service. All other amounts owed will be billed to the student after the insurance is billed. Student Health medical claims are not billed through student accounts. The student can determine the best billing address at the time of service for us to keep in our billing system.
- Students should always bring their insurance card to appointments at the Student Health Center, even if they have the University Health Plan. This will insure proper and timely billing for received services.
Need more information?
- Detailed information about the University Health Plan, policy information, medical and prescription drug benefit summaries, provider directories, and all UHP forms can be found at the University Health Plan website.
- Questions? Contact the Student Health Center (314-977-2323) or fax (314-977-7165)