- Current Student Resources
- Learning Online/Distance Learning
- Library Online
- Computer and Other Requirements
- Student Photo ID
- Computer Competencies
- Preceptor & Clinical Requirements
- Registration Instructions
- Course Descriptions
- Professional Liability
- Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Sigma Theta Tau Delta Lambda At Large Chapter
- MSN-NP & Post-Master's NP Certificate
Preceptor & Clinical Requirements
(MSN-NP, Post-MSN NP Certificate, & DNP Students)
- Student obtains information regarding guidelines for preceptor selection from the student handbook, course materials and/or course faculty members.
- Student obtains tentative approval of preceptor from course coordinator/specialty coordinator. Student contacts willing preceptor.
- Student downloads the Preceptor Information Form to give to preceptor.
- Student checks preceptor's license i.e. does a licensee search on the appropriate Board website. Student prints a copy of the preceptor's license information. If the preceptor is in a state that has a fee for an online licensee search then the student obtains a copy of the license from the preceptor. If the preceptor has taken SLU students within the last year, then this step may be omitted as that information is on file.
- Student types (preferably) information on the preceptor information form to the extent that the information is known. For example, student would not be able to fill in the preferred method of contact or cell phone number. This step is always necessary, even if the preceptor has taken SLU students in the past.
- Student takes the form to the preceptor to verify accuracy of information and obtain any missing information.
- Student emails or faxes the preceptor form to the appropriate faculty member i.e. the course coordinator.
- Course coordinator will review the preceptor information and give approval if the preceptor is appropriate for the course.
- Student verifies with clinical agency if an affiliation agreement is required or if proof of enrollment and SLU's Certificate of Liability insurance is sufficient. If affiliation agreement is required, student submits Facility Contract Request form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When the legal arrangement is negotiated, the course coordinator is notified.
- Course coordinator notifies student that the clinical site is approved.
Either a formal contract or letter of agreement must be completed prior to starting clinical experiences in an agency/office. In some instances, it may take up to 3 months to obtain approval of a formal contract, so plan accordingly. Contact Kari Saunders at email@example.com or 314-977-8904 for assistance with this process.
All students must be compliant with University guidelines for immunizations, background check, HIPPA, Blood Borne Pathogens, and authorization to release forms (see forms here) prior to beginning clinical practicums.