- Graduate Programs
- M.S. in Sustainability
- Why Sustainability?
- Program Summary
- Core Course Descriptions
- Plan of Study
- Graduate Assistantships
- Apply to Sustainability
- MBA/M.S. in Sustainability Dual Degree
- M.A. in Urban Planning and Development
- J.D./M.A. in Urban Planning and Development Dual Degree
- Graduate Certificate in Advanced Remote Sensing and GIS
- Accelerated M.S. in Sustainability
Sustainability is a systems-based science that integrates aspects of multiple disciplines, such as environmental and social sciences, business, and policy. Those who pursue careers in promoting and advocating for sustainable practices are passionate about solving today's most pressing environmental issues and increasing equity among the world's inhabitants.
The M.S. in Sustainability leverages students' undergraduate training and professional experience by cultivating systems thinking, applied research, and problem-solving skills valued by employers in business, finance, technology, higher education, engineering, government, nonprofit, consulting, and other industries. Individuals with advanced knowledge of sustainability science and related environmental, social, and economic issues are well-positioned for diverse and rewarding career opportunities.
- U.S. News and World Report lists Sustainability among "11 Hot College Majors That Lead to Jobs."
- The Council of Economic Advisers states that "environmental-related occupations" are expected to grow at a rate of 52% through 2016, while all other occupations will see a growth rate of 14%.
- The Metropolitan Policy Program at the Brookings Institution reports that "the clean economy, which employs some 2.7 million workers, encompasses a significant number of jobs in establishments spread across a diverse group of industries."
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics' Green Technologies and Practices survey estimates that in August 2011, "about 854,700 jobs, representing 0.7 percent of total U.S. employment, were held by workers who spent more than half of their time involved in green technologies and practices.
The Center for Sustainability provides a network of alumni to help students obtain internships and develop their careers. Graduates have been employed by organizations in various fields.