- Housing and Dining
Room Assignments and Changes
Before requesting a room change please be sure to have exhausted the following options:
Reassignments Associated with Roommate Conflicts
It is the philosophy of the Department of Housing and Residence Life that for any reassignment request stemming from differences between or conflict among roommates students are expected to have made a good faith effort toward resolving the issue. This includes completing a roommate agreement and attempting the strategies listed above. Four basic criteria must be met for a change to occur:
1. Student(s) involved have attempted to resolve roommate situation.
2. Vacant space is available.
3. Students affected have consented to the change.
4. The building professional staff member has approved the change.
Roommates are encouraged to have continuing discussions in regards to their needs and expectations for the space they share, and should remain open to fully resolving any conflict that remains in the event that a reassignment is deemed appropriate.
If a reassignment is approved, this may result in a change in housing costs for the semester. Please be aware if requested reassignment will result in additional housing charges, it is the student's responsibility to discuss any requests with family or other individuals who may need to be consulted regarding the student's account and expenses.
Approved changes must be completed within 48 hours of approval. A change is not completed until the student has checked out of the original assignment and returned key(s). All requests for reassignment must be submitted during the designated reassignments period. Requests received after this date and time will be not considered.
To request a room reassignment complete the following steps:
- Contact the professional staff member in your current building to discuss the move you wish to request. This includes moves within your current building as well as to a different building.
- If the professional staff member deems the reassignment appropriate, the staff member will review the building occupancy and/or contact the staff in the requested building to determine if an open space is still available.
- If a space is available, the staff member in your current building will let you know if a move is possible and will start the reassignment paperwork. The staff member will instruct you on where to check in to your new assignment.
- The move to your new assignment must be completed within 48 hours after checking in and picking up the key to the new assignment.
- After removing all belongings from your current assignment, clean your living area thoroughly so it will be ready for the next resident who may be assigned to the space. Failure to clean properly, including proper removal of trash to outside dumpsters, may result in charges to your University account.
- After moving all belongings to your new assignment and cleaning your old assignment, you must either schedule a check-out appointment with the RA or arrange an express check-out from your old assignment. The room change is not completed until you officially check out of your old assignment. Please remember an express check waives your opportunity to appeal any assessed charges for damages or cleaning.
If you are requesting a change because of a facilities issues, please record the Work Order numbers of the Maintenance Requests you have entered about the issue. You will be asked to provide these as documentation for the room condition. If you are requesting a change because of medical or other extreme necessity, please collect all documentation you will need before contacting the office.
The University reserves the right to reassign an individual or a group of individuals at any time. This policy is usually, but not exclusively, applied to situations where an individual student or group of students has reoccurring behavioral problems or community damage. Residents of communities (room or floor) with environments that are displaying behaviors inconsistent with the University's values, mission or policies are subject to an administrative move. If an administrative reassignment occurs, the student(s) will be responsible for any additional room charges that may be affiliated with the new assignment. The central housing office will determine when an administrative move is deemed necessary.