Author: Katie Lambert
Published: Wednesday, February 8 2012
Hot wings, 7-layer bean dip, French onion dip, pigs in a blanket, brownies, and beers a plenty all fill the room at any super bowl party. There are more sides of food at this party than players on the field!!
The average American Consumes 1,200 calories during the Superbowl. Between the intense plays, blocked field goals, and Hail Mary touchdowns, let’s call a time out on consuming so many calories on this glorious Sunday.
Here are some twists to some classic party foods that are more waistline conscious:
- 1 16-ounce can nonfat refried beans, preferably “spicy”
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeño slices, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack, or Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup canned sliced black olives, (optional)
- Combine refried beans, black beans, scallions, salsa, cumin, chili powder and jalapeños in a medium bowl. Transfer to a shallow 2-quart microwave-safe dish; sprinkle with cheese.
- Microwave on High until the cheese is melted and the beans are hot, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Spread sour cream evenly over the hot bean mixture, then scatter with lettuce, tomato, avocado and olives (if using).
Nutrition Information per ½ cup serving:
146 calories; 7 g fat ( 3 g sat , 3 g mono ); 12 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein;5 g fiber; 288 mg sodium; 164 mg potassium.
Creamy Artichoke Dip
- 1 small shallot, peeled
- 1 5-ounce can water chestnuts, rinsed
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Pulse shallot and water chestnuts in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Add cream cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, lemon juice, salt and pepper and pulse until just combined. Add spinach and chives and pulse until incorporated.
Nutrition Information per ¼ cup serving:
54 calories; 3 g fat ( 2 g sat , 1 g mono ); 10 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 4g protein; 1 g fiber; 222 mg sodium; 102 mg potassium.
Spicy Kick Off Wings
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 12 chicken tenders
- Preheat a nonstick skillet on medium-high.
- Stir together the honey,hot sauce,Worcestershire sauce,garlic, and paprika in a small bowl. Microwave for 10 seconds,stirring if the honey clumps.
- Place the chicken and half of the spice mixture in a large Ziploc bag and shake until coated.
- Pour the coated tenders into the skillet and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Toss with the remaining spice mixture to coat them. Eat with celery sticks, baby carrots, and 4 Tbsp (2 Tbsp per serving) of a good, chunky blue cheese dressing that's reasonably low in fat, such as Ken's Steak House Lite
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 8" by 8" metal baking pan. In cup, dissolve coffee in vanilla extract.
- On waxed paper, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- In medium bowl, whisk sugar, vegetable oil spread, egg whites, and coffee mixture until well mixed; then blend in flour mixture. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake 22 to 24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in brownies 2 inches from edge comes out almost clean. Cool in pan on wire rack, about 2 hours.
- When cool, cut brownies into 4 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 4 squares. If brownies are difficult to cut, dip knife in hot water; wipe dry, and cut. Repeat dipping and drying as necessary.
- 1 teaspoon(s) instant coffee powder or granules
- 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) trans-fat free vegetable oil spread (60% to 70% oil)
- 3 large egg whites
Nutrition Information per serving 6 wings:
490 calories; 27g fat , 60 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 26g protein.
No Sweat Brownies:
(Yields: 16 brownies)
Nutrition Information per serving 1 brownie:
95 calories; 3 g fat ( 1 g sat ); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 2g protein; 1 g fiber; 75 mg sodium.