- Faculty and Physicians
- Jay Brieler, M.D.
- James Deckert, M.D.
- Kelly Everard Ph.D.
- Emily Doucette, MD
- Mary Hastings, MD
- Karen Heath, M.D.
- Denise Hooks-Anderson, M.D.
- Christine K. Jacobs, M.D.
- Tonya E. Little, M.D.
- William Manard, M.D.
- Ronald B. Margolis, Ph.D.
- Dixie Meyer, Ph.D.
- William Mitchell, MD
- Victoria A. Osborne, Ph.D., MSW
- J. Douglas Pettinelli, PhD
- David Pole, MPH
- Fred Rottnek, M.D., MAHCM
- Caroline M. Rudnick, M.D., Ph.D.
- Jeffrey F. Scherrer, Ph.D.
- Craig W. Smith, Ph.D.
- Rupal Trivedi, M.D.
- Carissa van den Berk-Clark
- Christian Verry, M.D.
- Eric Westhus, PhD
- Mattie M. White, M.D
- Kimberly Zoberi, M.D.
- Max Zubatsky, Ph.D., LMFT
- F. David Schneider, M.D., MSPH (Chair)
- Administrative Staff
- Faculty in the News
Jeffrey F. Scherrer, Ph.D.
Jeffrey F. Scherrer, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Research Division
Director, Research Division
Secondary Appointment: Saint Louis University Center for Outcomes Research
Adjunct Appointment: Washington University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry
Campus Contact Information
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Department of Family and Community Medicine
1402 South Grand Boulevard
O'Donnell Hall, 2nd Floor
St. Louis, MO 63104
Undergraduate: B.A. Psychology, University of Missouri – St. Louis 1990
Graduate: M.A. Experimental Psychology, University of Missouri- St. Louis 1992
Graduate: Ph.D. Health Services Research, Epidemiology Concentration, Saint Louis University School of Public Health 2004
Health consequences of mental illness. Outcomes research in large medical record databases. Veteran health issues.
About Dr. Scherrer
Jeffrey F. Scherrer is an Associate Professor in the Department of Family and Community Medicine. Dr. Scherrer has over 20 years research experience beginning as a research assistant in psychobiology. Dr. Scherrer first joined SLU in 1990 as a research assistant in the Department of Geriatric Medicine. After moving to SLU’s School of Public Health he worked on behavior genetic studies of substance use disorder and psychiatric comorbidity. He has used this approach to determine common genetic risk to chronic health conditions associated with mental illness. In 2004 he joined the faculty of Washington University Department of Psychiatry and in 2008, he began a joint appointment with the St. Louis VAMC after receiving a Career Development Award from the VA’s Health Services Research and Development program. Dr. Scherrer’s research is best characterized by an overarching interest in comorbidity, mind-body relationships and care delivery models for comorbid physical and mental illness. His research methods focus on survey methodology, outcomes research in administrative medical record data and behavior genetic approaches in epidemiology.
In addition, Dr. Scherrer serves as a Board member of CHADS, Communities Healing Adolescent Depression and Suicide.
When not working, he enjoys spending time with his wife Leslie, and their three young children, 2 dogs, 1 cat and 1 gecko
• Garfield LD, Scherrer JF, Hauptman PJ, Freeland KE, Chrusciel T, Balasubramanian S, Carney RM, Newcomer JW, Owen R, Bucholz KK, Lustman PJ. Association of anxiety disorders and depression with incident heart failure. Psychosomatic Medicine 2013 In Press
• Scherrer JF, Svrakic DM, Freedland KE, Chrusciel T, Balasubramanian S, Bucholz KK, Lawler EV, Lustman PJ. Prescription opioid analgesics and risk of depression. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2013 In Press
• Scherrer JF, Xian H, Bucholz KK, Eisen SA, Lyons MJ, Goldberg J, Tsuang M, True WR: A twin study of depression symptoms, hypertension, and heart disease in middle-aged men. Psychosom Med. 2003,65:548-557. PMID: 12883104
• Scherrer JF, Xian H, Shah KR, Volberg R, Slutske W, Eisen SA. Influence of Genes, Environment and Comorbidity on Health Related Quality of Life Among Problem and Pathological Gamblers. Archives of General Psychiatry, 2005;62:677-683. PMID: 15939845
• Romeis JC, Heath AC, Xian H, Eisen SA, Scherrer JF, Pedersen NL, Fu JQ, Bucholz KK, Goldberg J, Lyons MJ, Waterman B, Tsuang MT, True WR. Heritability of SF-36 among Middle Age, Middle Class, Male-Male Twins. Medical Care, 2005;43: 1147-1154. PMID: 16224309
• Scherrer JF, Xian H, Kapp JMK, Waterman B, Shah KR, Volberg R, Eisen SA. Association between exposure to childhood and lifetime traumatic events and lifetime pathological gambling in a twin cohort. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 2007;195: 72-78. PMID: 17220743
• Scherrer JF, Xian H, Lyons MJ, Goldberg J, Eisen SA, True WR, Tsuang MT, Bucholz KK, Koenen KC. Posttraumatic stress disorder, combat exposure and nicotine dependence, alcohol dependence and major depression in male twins. Comprehensive Psychiatry. 2008;49:297-304. PMCID: PMC2375042
• Xian H, Scherrer JF, Grant JD, Eisen SA, True WR, Jacob T, Bucholz KK. Genetic and environmental contributions to nicotine, alcohol and cannabis dependence in male twins. Addiction. 2008;103:1391-1398. PMID: 18855830
• Scherrer JF, Grant JD, Duncan AE, Pan H, Waterman B, Jacob T, True WR, Heath AC, Bucholz KK. Measured environmental contributions to cannabis abuse/dependence in an offspring of twins design. Addictive Behaviors. 2008;33: 1255-1266. PMCID: PMC2633646
• Scherrer JF, Virgo KS, Zeringue A, Bucholz K, Jacob T, Johnson RG, True WR, Carney RM, Freedland KE, Xian H, Eisen SA. Depression increases risk of incident myocardial infarction among Veterans Administration patients with rheumatoid arthritis. General Hospital Psychiatry. 2009;31:353-359. PMID: 19555796
• Scherrer JF, Grant JD, Duncan AE, Sartor CE, Haber JR, Jacob T, Bucholz KK. Subjective effects to cannabis are associated with use, abuse and dependence after adjusting for genetic and environmental influence. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2009;105:76-82. PMID: 19628344
• Grant JD, Lynskey MT, Scherrer JF, Agrawal A, Heath AC, Bucholz KK. A co-twin control analysis of drug use and abuse/dependence risk associated with early-onset cannabis use. Addictive Behaviors. 2010; 35: 35-41. PMCID: PMC2799337
• Agrawal A, Scherrer JF, Grant JD, Sartor C, Pergadia ML, Duncan AE, Madden PAF, Haber JR, Jacob T, Bucholz K, Xian H. The effects of maternal smoking during pregnancy on offspring outcomes. Preventive Medicine. 2010; 50: 13-18. PMCID: PMC2813884
• Xian H, Scherrer JF, Franz CE, McCaffery J, Stein PK, Lyons MJ, Jacobsen K, Eisen SA, Kremen WS. Genetic vulnerability and phenotypic expression of depression and risk for ischemic heart disease in the Vietnam Era Twin Study of Aging. Psychosomatic Medicine, 2010 72: 370-375. PMCID: PMC2874728
• Scherrer JF, Chrusciel T, Zeringue A, Garfield LD, Hauptman PJ, Lustman PJ, Freedland KE, Carney RM, Bucholz KK, Owen R, True WR. Anxiety disorders increase risk for incident myocardial infarction in depressed and nondepressed Veterans Administration patients. American Heart Journal. 2010;159:772-779. PMID: 20435185
• Xian H, Scherrer JF, Pergadia ML, Madden PAF, Grant JD, Sartor CE, Haber JR, Jacob, T, Bucholz KK. Contribution of parental psychopathology to offspring smoking and nicotine dependence in a genetically informative design. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 2010; 71: 664-673. PMCID: PMC2930497
• Garfield LD, Scherrer JF, Chrusciel T, Nurutdinova D, Lustman PJ, Fu Q, Burroughs TE. Factors associated with receipt of adequate antidepressant pharmacotherapy in a population of VA patients with recurrent depression. Psychiatric Services. 2011; 62:381-388. PMID: 21459989
• Scherrer JF, Garfield JD, Lustman PJ, Hauptman PJ, Chrusciel T, Zeringue A, Carney RM, Freedland KE, Bucholz KK, Owen R, Newcomer JW, True WR. Antidepressant drug compliance is associated with reduced risk of incident myocardial infarction and mortality in depressed patients. American Journal of Medicine. 2011;124:318-324. PMID: 21435422
• Scherrer JF, Xian H, Lustman PJ, Franz CE, McCaffery J, Lyons MJ, Jacobson KC, Kremen WS. A test for common genetic and environmental vulnerability to depression and diabetes. Twin Research and Human Genetics. 2011;14:169-72. PMID: 21425899
• Agrawal A, Scherrer JF, Pergadia ML, Lynskey MT, Madden PAF, Sartor CE, Grant JD, Duncan AE, Haber JR, Jacob T, Bucholz KK, Xian H. A latent class analysis of DSM-IV and Fagerstrom (FTND) criteria for nicotine dependence. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, In Press. PMCID: PMC3179671
• Scherrer JF, Garfield LD, Chrusciel T, Hauptman PJ, Carney RM, Freedland KE, Owen R, True WR, Lustman PJ. Increased risk of myocardial infarction in depressed patients with Type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2011; 34:1729-1734. PMCID: PMC3142034
• Scherrer JF, Grant JD, Agrawal A, Madden PAF, Fu Q, Jacob T, Bucholz KK, Xian H. Suicidal behavior, smoking and familial vulnerability. Nicotine and Tobacco Research. 2012; 14:415-424. PMID: 22080587
• Scherrer JF, Chrusciel T, Garfield LD, Freedland KE, Carney RM, Lustman PJ, Hauptman PJ, Owen R, True WR. Treatment-resistant and insufficiently treated depression and all-cause mortality following myocardial infarction. British Journal of Psychiatry. 2012;200:137-42. PMID: 22241930
• Scherrer JF, Xian H, Pan H, Pergadia ML, Madden PA, Grant JD, Sartor CE, Haber JR, Jacob T, Bucholz KK. Parent, sibling and peer influences on smoking initiation, regular smoking and nicotine dependence. Results from a genetically informative design. Addictive Behaviors. 2012;37:240-247. PMID: 22094168