In our quest to educate and form persons for others, Saint Louis University’s College of Arts and Sciences has gathered a world-class faculty of teacher-scholars who are dedicated to excellence in undergraduate and graduate education.
Each is devoted to outstanding teaching, cutting-edge research and scholarship, inspired artistic expression and faithful service to the campus and the community.
Embracing the great and wondrous diversity that makes up the human race and the unique gifts and talents of every individual, this collection of curious seekers and learners works together to unpack the mysteries and answer the endless array of questions posed by the physical, social and spiritual worlds we each inhabit.
We always do this with an eye toward justice, peace, beauty and the common good of the whole human family and the created world we share.
You can find more information on our faculty members on the pages devoted to their disciplines.
Faculty and Staff Recognition
Our college's annual awards honor faculty and staff for a wide range of achievements.
2023 College Excellence Award Winners
- Jeffrey Gfeller, Ph.D. (Psychology) Donald G. Brennan Award for Excellence in Graduate Mentoring
- Harold Braswell, Ph.D. (Health Care Ethics) Donald G. Brennan Award for Excellence in Graduate Teaching
- Annie Smart, Ph.D. (Languages, Literatures and Cultures) Kathryn E. Kuhn Award for Excellence in Service
- Fr. Sam Conedera, Ph.D. (History) Helen I. Mandeville Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching in the Humanities
- Elena Bray Speth, Ph.D. (Biology) William V. Stauder, S.J. Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching in the Natural Sciences
- Kristin Kiddoo, Ph.D. (Psychology) Chauncey E. Finch Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Mentoring
- Jon Garrett, M.M (Fine and Performing Arts) Adjunct Teaching Excellence Award
- Jenni Semsar (Women's and Gender Studies) Staff Excellence Award
- Wendy Teal, M.S.(Biology) Technical Staff Excellence Award
An Excellence in Undergraduate Mentoring Award is given to one full-time faculty member from the college, while the Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award is given to one full-time professor from each of the college’s divisions (humanities, sciences, social sciences).
Awards are also given for Excellence in Graduate Teaching, Excellence in Graduate Mentoring Excellence in Adjunct Teaching Award.
Nominations for the awards can be made by fellow faculty, students or staff. Faculty, staff and students are also encouraged to submit nominations for the Arts and Sciences Staff Excellence Award.
Nominations are closed.
- Staff Excellence
- Technical Staff
- Adjunct Teaching
- Graduate Mentoring
- Graduate Teaching
- Service Award
- Undergraduate Mentoring
- Undergraduate Teaching