Kelly Dineen, J.D., Ph.D.
Co-director; Assistant professor
Bander Center of Medical Business Ethics
- Ph.D. in health care ethics from Saint Louis University
- J.D. with a certificate in health care law from Saint Louis University School of Law
- B.S.N. from Saint Louis University Trudy Busch Valentine School of Nursing
Health care provider decision-making and professionalism; clinical ethics; conflict of interest issues in clinical care; policy, law and provider-level influences on socially disenfranchised populations, including individuals with chronic pain, substance use disorders, or other chronic neurological, cognitive or psychiatric disorders.
Publications and Media Placements
- Kelly K. Dineen, Addressing Prescription Opioid Abuse Concerns in Context: Synchronizing Policy Solutions to Multiple Complex Public Health Problems, 40 L. & Psych. Rev. 1 (2016)
- Kelly K. Dineen & James M. DuBois, Between a Rock and a Hard Place: Can Physicians Prescribe Opioids to Treat Pain Adequately While Avoiding Legal Sanction? 42 Amer. J.L. & Med. 1, 7 (lead article) (2016).
- Jalal B. Jalay, Kelly K. Dineen, & Ann Gronowski, A 30-Year-Old Patient Who Refuses to be Drug Tested, 62 Clinical Chemistry 6, 807-810 (peer reviewed; selected as the featured case study for AACC Science & Practice) (June 2016).
- Kelly K. Dineen, Moral Disengagement of Medical Providers: Another Clue to the Continued Neglect of Treatable Pain? 13 Houston J. Health L. & Policy 2,163 (2013) (peer reviewed).
- Richard J. Bonnie, Stephanie Wright, & Kelly K. Dineen, Legal Authority to Preserve Organs in Cases of Uncontrolled Cardiac Death: Preserving Family Choice, 36 J. L. Med. & Ethics 741 (2008).
- Kelly K. Dineen, Suicide, Overdose, and Opioids, Saint Louis U. J. Health L. & Pol’y (forthcoming 2017).
- Kelly K. Dineen, Introduction to the Symposium Edition, Saint Louis U. J. Health L. & Pol’y (forthcoming 2017).
- Kelly K. Dineen & Margaret Bultas, Parenting Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders Through the Transition to Adulthood, 2 Narrative Inquiry in Bioethics: A Journal of Qualitative Research 3 (Winter 2012) (Symposium Editor).
- Kelly K. Dineen, Responsibility and Collaboration in Health Team Care, 11 Virtual Mentor 3, 247(2009).
- Kelly K. Dineen, Kathleen Boozang, Robert Schwartz, Barbara Miltenberger, & Alene Haskell, Considerations for People with Disabilities and Their Families, American Health Lawyers Association Public Information Series (Spring 2009).
- Kelly K. Dineen, Of Note, Catholic Health Care USA, Quarterly Journal (regular column with students from the Center for Health Law Studies), (spring 2007—fall 2008: Vol. 15, 1-4; Vol. 16, 1-2).
Books and book chapters
- John Peppin, Kelly K. Dineen, & John Coleman, Professional Regulation and Opioids in America,Oxford University Press (forthcoming 2017).
- Kelly K. Dineen, Legal Regulation of Opioid Prescribing, in Peppin, Dineen, & Coleman, Professional Regulation and Opioids in America, Oxford University Press (forthcoming 2017).
- Kelly K. Dineen, Opioid Prescribing in Stigmatized and Special Populations, in Peppin, Dineen, & Coleman, Professional Regulation and Opioids in America, Oxford University Press (forthcoming 2017).
- Rebecca Volpe, Erin Bakanas, Kelly K. Dineen, & James M. DuBois, Exploring Integrity in Medicine: the Bander Center for Medical Business Ethics Casebook. St. Louis: Saint Louis University, Second edition (2016).
- Kelly K. Dineen, Legal Issues in Critical Care, in Urden L., Stacy K., & Lough M. Critical Care Nursing: Diagnosis and Management (8th ed. 2016).
- Kelly K. Dineen, Ethical Issues in Critical Care, in Urden L., Stacy K., & Lough M. Critical Care Nursing: Diagnosis and Management (8th ed. 2016).
- Kelly K. Dineen, Legal & Ethical Issues in Critical Care, in Urden L., Stacy K., & Lough M. Priorities in Critical Care Nursing (7th ed. 2015).
- Rebecca Volpe, Erin Bakanas, Kelly K. Dineen, & James M. DuBois, Exploring Integrity in Medicine: the Bander Center for Medical Business Ethics Casebook. St. Louis: Saint Louis University (2014).
- Kelly K. Dineen, Legal Issues in Critical Care, in Urden L., Stacy K., & Lough M. Critical Care Nursing: Diagnosis and Management (7th ed.) (2013).
- Kelly K. Dineen, Commentary: Patients as Victims, in Dellasega C. & Volpe R., Toxic Nursing: Managing Bullying, Bad Attitudes and Total Turmoil (Spring 2013).
Select media, blog posts and public scholarship
- St. Louis Area Physicians Dominate List of Missouri Docs Receiving Industry Money, St. Louis Post Dispatch, July 9, 2016, available at http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/st-louis-area-physicians-dominate-list-of-missouri-docs-receiving/article_03a8fc2f-1a8f-5e37-bd10-54f1415ff1c9.html(quoted).
- How the Politics of Abortion Could Affect Women Who Want to Be Tested for the Zika Virus,Vice.com, May 18, 2016, available at http://www.vice.com/read/how-the-politics-of-abortion-could-affect-women-who-want-to-be-tested-for-the-zika-virus (quoted).
- A Controversial Response to Heroin Epidemic: Supervised Injections, U.S. News and World Reports, April 20, 2016, available at http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-04-20/a-controversial-response-to-heroin-epidemic-supervised-injections (quoted).
- When Cracking Down on Opioids Means Tougher Access for Sickle Cell Patients, St. Louis Public Radio, KWMU, April 18, 2016, available at http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/when-cracking-down-opioids-means-tougher-access-sickle-cell-patients (quoted).
- Podcast, SLU Law Summations Series, Improving the Quality of Dying, March 2016, available athttps://www.slu.edu/law/podcast/episode-4 (interviewed).
- Podcast, American Association of Clinical Chemistry, A 30 Year Old Patient Who Refuses to be Drug Tested (with Ann Gronowski) (2016) (first clinical case ever selected for podcast) available athttp://media.aacc.org/CCJPodcasts/ClinChem_201606_Gronowski_Dineen_Forrow.mp3(interviewed).
- Pot Practice Launched not in Denver, but St. Louis, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, January 18, 2016 (quoted).
- Complexity, Mental Illness, and Pain, HealthLawProf Blog, September 2014, available athttp://lawprofessors.typepad.com/healthlawprof_blog/2014/10/guest-blogger-assistant-professor-kelly-dineen-pain-complexity-and-opioids.html.
- Mentally Ill While Black HealthLawProf Blog, September 11, 2014, available athttp://lawprofessors.typepad.com/healthlawprof_blog/2014/09/guest-blogger-assistant-professor-kelly-dineen-mentally-ill-while-black.html.
- Why we don’t know more about the shooting victims, St. Louis Post Dispatch, August 19, 2014 (quoted).
- How Many Gunshot Victims have there been in Ferguson So Far? News.Mic, August 20, 2014 (quoted).
Professional Organizations and Associations
- Academy for Professionalism in Health Care
- American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
- American Society of Law, Medicine and Ethics
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Association of American Law Schools
- Law and Society Association
- Neuroethics Society
- Saint Louis Area Health Lawyers Association
- Gateway Alliance for Compassionate Health Care
- Sigma Theta Tau
Community Work and Service
- Children’s Health Advocacy Project (2006-2008)
- Epilepsy Foundation of St. Louis, Jeannie Carpenter Legal Defense Fund
- Legal Services of Eastern Missouri Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Learning Disabilities Association of St. Louis (2004-2006)
- National Alliance for Mental Illness
- Walk Now for Autism St. Louis (2006-2008)