Marvin Meyers, Ph.D.
CHEM 4470/5470: Medicinal Chemistry
B.A. in Chemistry, Dordt College, 1996
Ph.D. in Chemistry. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2000
Medicinal Chemistry, Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Chemical Biology, Pharmacology, Drug Discovery
In our lab, we practice the art of medicinal chemistry. We use synthetic organic chemistry to design and prepare new compounds, which are analyzed by our collaborators to assess their biological properties. Using medicinal chemistry and structure-based drug design principles, we optimize the potency, pharmacokinetics, and safety profiles of compounds with the ultimate goal of identification of candidate drugs for clinical trials. The discoveries we make can also teach us about the biology of disease, how things work at a biomolecular level in living systems. We can use small molecules as chemical probes to modulate biological systems, define molecular pathways, and identify new targets for drug discovery.
We are especially interested in finding new drugs for infectious diseases. We are actively working on malaria, cryptosporidiosis, tuberculosis, herpes simplex virus, hepatitis B virus, and cryptococcal meningitis. These diseases kill millions of people annually and are particularly devastating to the poorest of the poor living in the developing world. We also have projects working on rare diseases such as FSHD (a type of muscular dystrophy) and infant short gut syndrome, as well as for certain types of cancer.
To read more details about our lab and these projects, please see our group website at www.meyerschemlab.com.
Labs and Facilities
Monsanto Hall 007 and 111
Publications and Media Placements
Selected publications (from 19 at SLU):
1. Jumani RS, Bessoff K, Love MS, Miller P, Stebbins EE, Teixeira JE, Campbell MA,
Meyers MJ, Zambriski JA, Nunez V, Woods AK, McNamara CW, Huston CD. A novel piperazine-based
drug lead for cryptosporidiosis from the Medicines for Malaria Venture open access
Malaria Box. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 2018; In press (accepted). doi:10.1128/AAC.01505-17
2. Nasamu, AS; Glushakova, S; Russo, I; Vaupel, B; Oksman, A; Kim, AS; Fremont, DH; Tolia, N; Beck, JR; Meyers, MJ; Niles, JC; Zimmerberg, J; Goldberg, DE, Plasmepsins IX and X are essential and druggable mediators of malaria parasite egress and invasion. Science, 2017, 358, 518-522.
3. Montoya, MC; DiDone, L; Heier, RF; Meyers, MJ; Krysan, DJ, Antifungal Phenothiazines: Optimization, Characterization of Mechanism, and Modulation of Neuroreceptor Activity. ACS Infect. Diseases. 2017, DOI: 10.1021/acsinfecdis.7b00157 Article ASAP. Publication Date (Web): October 23, 2017.
4. Masaoka T, Zhao H, Hirsch DR, D'Erasmo MP, Meck C, Varnado B, Gupta A, Meyers MJ, Baines J, Beutler JA, et al. Characterization of the C-Terminal Nuclease Domain of Herpes Simplex Virus pUL15 as a Target of Nucleotidyltransferase Inhibitors. Biochemistry 2016, 55, 809-819.
5. Meyers, MJ; Anderson, EJ; McNitt, SA; Krenning, TM; Singh, M; Xu, J; Zeng, W; Qin, L; Xu, W; Zhao, S; Qin, L; Eickhoff, CS; Oliva, J; Campbell, MA; Arnett, SD; Prinsen, MJ; Griggs, DW; Ruminski, PG; Goldberg, DE; Ding, K; Liu, X; Tu, Z; Tortorella, MD; Sverdrup, FM; and Chen, X; Evaluation of Spiropiperidine Hydantoins as a Novel Class of Antimalarial Agents. Bioorg. Med. Chemistry 2015, 23, 5144-50.
6. Cai, CW; Lomonosova, E; Moran, EA; Cheng, X; Patel, KB; Bailly, F; Cotelle, P; Meyers, MJ; and Tavis, JE. Hepatitis B Virus replication is blocked by a 2-hydroxyisoquinoline-1,3(2H,4H)-dione (HID) inhibitor of the viral ribonuclease H activity. Antiviral Research 2014, 108, 48-55.
7. Meyers, MJ; Tortorella, MD; Xu, J; Qin, L; He, Z; Lang, X; Zeng, W; Xu, W; Qin, L; Prinsen, MJ; Sverdrup, FM; Eickhoff, CS; Griggs, DW; Oliva, J; Ruminski, PG; Jacobsen, EJ; Campbell, MA; Wood, DC; Goldberg, DE; Liu, X; Lu, Y; Lu, X; Tu, Z; Lu, X; Ding, K; Chen, X. Evaluation of Aminohydantoins as a Novel Class of Antimalarial Agents. ACS Medicinal Chemistry Letters 2014, 5, 89-93.
For a more complete list, please go to: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/1X5qGRE9dwcky/bibliography/42783432/public/?sort=date&direction=descending