Skip to main content
MenuSearch & Directory

Procedures, Forms and Resources

The Office of Academic Advising provides essential information about academic policies and procedures of both the College of Arts and Sciences and Saint Louis University.

Where to Start as a New Student

As a newly admitted student in the College of Arts and Sciences, you're most likely interested in planning your first semester of coursework. Our advisers will help you transition to SLU and progress toward graduation.

A lot of factors go into developing your first curriculum plan and registering for classes, many of which will be reviewed at SLU 101, Saint Louis University’s summer orientation. Your academic advisor will meet with you to discuss your intended major, educational goals and academic experiences. Your advisor will also provide you with information about program requirements and course availability.

Register for SLU 101

Pre-Registration and Registration

Before You Register

Before you register for classes, schedule an appointment with your faculty mentor. You can find your mentor in Banner Self-Service by clicking on Student Records>Student Information>View All Adviser Listing. Use People Finder to locate the contact information your mentor.

Contact your faculty mentor to discuss all major or minor courses that you plan to take for the upcoming semester, including specific course recommendations. Be sure to discuss your future academic goals and address any questions you may have.

You should also schedule an appointment with your academic adviser. Come to your appointment with a list of courses that you are planning to take to satisfy the Arts and Sciences core requirements and for your major or minor, as well as any other questions you may have.

Your academic advisor will provide you with your registration PIN. You will need it if you want to make changes to your schedule during the first week of classes, so keep it somewhere safe. We recommend that you text it or email it to yourself so it is with you at all times.

Tips for Registering

Your degree from Saint Louis University’s College of Arts and Sciences has three components:

  • Core curriculum (51 to 63 credits)
  • Major area of study (30 to 50 credits)
  • Remaining hours and electives (19-39 credits) Remaining hours are typically met with a minor, second major or approved related hours

Combined, your core, major and remaining hours must total at least 120 credit hours in order to earn a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree.

Registration eligibility is based on your total earned hours plus earned enrolled credit hours. If you have more than 90 hours, you qualify as a senior; 60 to 89 hours, a junior; 30 to 59 hours; a sophomore; and if you have zero to 29 hours, a freshman.

Registration holds will prevent you from being able to register for classes. View holds in Banner Self-Service under Student Records. If you experience registration errors, contact the registrar's office.

If a class you want to take is closed, you have the option of either checking Banner at a later time to see if someone has dropped the course, choosing a different course or requesting written permission from the instructor to add the course on a Change of Registration form. You will also be required to obtain your instructor's and academic adviser's signature.

If you need to add a course that requires an approval signature, be sure to complete a Change of Registration form and obtain the signature of your instructor, academic advisor or dean's office.

If you need to withdraw from all of your courses, you will have to contact your academic advisor for assistance. You will not be able to withdraw from all of your courses on your own. Failure to make financial arrangements can result in the cancellation of your classes.

Academic Advising Procedures

Adding/Dropping a Major or Minor

Talk with your academic advisor regarding any change in your academic programs. To add or drop a major or minor, you must complete and submit the Major Confirmation/Declaration form or the Minor Declaration form.

Faculty mentors are assigned by your academic department and posted in Banner Self-Service.

Request to Academic Adviser

In some cases, the adviser-student relationship is not a good match. You may request a different advisor by completing the Request to Change Adviser form at the front desk of our office - located in Verhaegen Hall, Room 218.

Changing Your Major or Minor

If you are interested in changing your major or minor, you should discuss your goals with faculty mentor first. In most cases, the advisor will refer you to the appropriate department or college for more information.

Once you’ve definitely decided to make a change, you will need to complete forms located in our office. If you transfer to another college within the University, you will be assigned a new academic adviser.

Arts and Sciences Deciding Students

If you are still deciding on a major, we encourage you to research the different majors available at SLU and to meet with a career counselor in Career Services.